...and here is my $4.00 June 1943 box...

kfields

Picked this up at a flea market 4-5 years ago. Nice patina to the box or maybe they made it that way? Anyway, someone before me added the hardware which I retained. I plan on storing my 30-06 ammo for my Garand in it.

Looks like it shipped out of Yorktown, Va. Anything else interesting someone can add based on the information printed on the box?

Thanks......Kim

post-60-0-96637500-1507161303_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-64449800-1507161312_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-74032300-1507161322_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-72427600-1507161332_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-62360400-1507161343_thumb.jpg

156. DESTRUCTORS. a. Ceneral. (1) Destructors are high-explosive charges fired electrically or by the action of a fuze. (2) Destructors are for use in certain equipment to be destroyed when the materiel is abandoned or when tbei'e is danger of its falling into enemy hartids. In general destructors are intended for destruction of the vital parts of the materiel by means of an explosion which is confined within the housing. Destructors may be removed from material during normal maintenance repair.

Destructor AN-313AL . This destructor (fig. 147) resembles the destructor AN-M 1 in general appearance but is much larger, It contains an electric detonator and a 2-gram pellet of tetryl. When a switch is closed, electric current enters the destructor through the two contact posts attached to lead wires from the plane. The current causes the detonator to explode which, in turn, explodes the tetryl pellet.

s1.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hello Kim:

Neat crate. The PA marking indicates that the source of the Lot was the Picatinny Arsenal in NJ. The Yorktown marking may be a reference to the Naval Weapons Station located at Yorktown.

HTH.

Regards,

Charlie

Thanks everyone.

I wonder if these devices (destructors) would have been what was used to destroy the German artillery pieces that overlooked Point Due Hoc on d-day?