Restored WW2 KIA Jumper, AMM1c Donald W Schnur

ParanormalTrooper

ParanormalTrooper
Hello all! Today I finished restoring one of my favorite uniforms in my collection. It's been almost two months since I bought Schnur's uniform off of eBay, and about a two weeks since I received his full file from Golden arrow research. I was lucky enough to get a photo of AMM1c Donald Schnur in the file as well. Reading through the file, seeing documents from when he first enlisted all the way up until after his death is incredible. I am honored to own this uniform I am very glad that I was able to restore it to its former glory. Anyways, now on to Schnur's story...
Donald W Schnur enlisted in the US navy on September 8th, 1942 at the age of 17.
He went to several different aviation schools before reporting to Patrol Bombing Squadron 20 on 28 April 1944. He flew in PBM-3D aircraft. He completed 9 combat missions totaling over 119 hours, and received the Air Medal in mid December of 1944.
On the night of 26 December 1944, five of the squadron's planes were ordered on a night mission to attack a Japanese destroyer and cruiser task force off of the West coast of Mindoro. During the attack, Schnur's PBM was forced to make an emergency water landing but was hit by a Japanese aircraft fire and sunk. Schnur was mortally wounded but was kept alive in the water by AMM2c Vernon K Anderson. Anderson was awarded the Navy and Marine Corps Medal for his heroic effort to keep Schnur alive. A PBY picked up the crew on the morning of December 27th. Unfortunately, Schnur succomed to his wounds and died en route to an army air corps base.
A bit of drama is recorded in the rest of his file. Donald Schnur's older brother was trying to get a posthumous award of the DFC awarded to him but the navy shot it down. His body was buried by an army medical officer and so the navy didn't know where his grave was for a while.
All of the ribbons and insignia are authentic WWII USN
Oh, also, sorry about the small photo of the jumper, I'll try and get a better one later...
post-162053-0-63283600-1506996048.jpg
post-162053-0-47625800-1506996083.jpeg
post-162053-0-30302500-1503095573_thumb.jpg
post-162053-0-06457400-1503095389_thumb.jpg
post-162053-0-68962000-1503095537_thumb.jpg

One small critique- In WWII, the Purple Heart ranked just above the Good Conduct ribbon and below the Air Medal. It wasn't until the 1980's that the PH was jumped up in precedence to fall just below the Bronze Star.

Allan

This is nicely done. I have an ARM/Aerial Gunner jumper (I've had for several years) that I want to research and reconstruct. I have spent most of my time on family military historical research, instead.

ParanormalTrooper

Thanks for your comments guys!

One small critique- In WWII, the Purple Heart ranked just above the Good Conduct ribbon and below the Air Medal. It wasn't until the 1980's that the PH was jumped up in precedence to fall just below the Bronze Star.

Allan

Thanks Allan, honestly that's what I originally had planned the bar to be but one I threw the ribbons into a ribbon bar creator online it put the PH first so I figured that was the correct one

• 4 years later...

Hi,

If anyone knows how to get a hold of the individual who owns and restored this jumper will you please message me?  Donald Schnur (he actually went by Billy) is my maternal Grandfather’s brother.  Thank you!

4 hours ago, AncestorDWS said:

Hi,

If anyone knows how to get a hold of the individual who owns and restored this jumper will you please message me?  Donald Schnur (he actually went by Billy) is my maternal Grandfather’s brother.  Thank you!

I don't think you will find him - He was 16 years old back then his name was Ben and he was from Nebraska - I recall that he sold off a lot of his collection to buy his first car

Bill

Bill, I can’t thank you enough for responding and for the information.  Not great news, but it is something to go off of and I appreciate it a lot. 

This is all new to me so I’m learning.  Can I ask you, do you know  how do these uniforms even get placed into circulation?  My family has hung onto everything that my Great-Grandmother received (letters, medals, pins, etc).  

Also, what are the major places / websites that collector buy and sell?  

Thank you again,

Jenny

Hello Jenny,

This uniform may not have been returned to your family after your relative died.   In all likelihood his uniforms was recovered by the Navy and then that uniform was reissued to another sailor.  Or, his uniform was given to one of his squadron mates who was in need of a replacement.  If the uniform was returned to your family it’s anyones guess how it got away.  Usually, it is something as simple as a closet or cedar chest getting cleaned out and the contents given to a charity without them being thoroughly checked.

Collectors have many avenues to acquire items like this uniform.  We buy a lot stuff off eBay and other internet auction sites.  Additionally, there are on-line militaria dealers with fabulous websites.   There are still plenty of Army-Navy stores around, plus antique malls, second hand stores, and places like the Salvation Army and Goodwill.  Things like this uniform show up regularly at gun shows and military collectible shows too.

Maybe some on the forum can give you his contact information if they dealt with him.  You could also post your request on our Facebook page.  Good luck.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

Military_Curator

If it is who Bill says it is, then the guy you are looking for is Ben Zimmerman. He bought an old BMW but I think he held on to some things... don't quote me. He is relatively easy to find on Instagram and Facebook

On 2/21/2022 at 9:46 PM, USMCR79 said:

I don't think you will find him - He was 16 years old back then his name was Ben and he was from Nebraska - I recall that he sold off a lot of his collection to buy his first car

Bill

On 2/22/2022 at 10:54 AM, AncestorDWS said:

Bill, I can’t thank you enough for responding and for the information.  Not great news, but it is something to go off of and I appreciate it a lot. 

This is all new to me so I’m learning.  Can I ask you, do you know  how do these uniforms even get placed into circulation?  My family has hung onto everything that my Great-Grandmother received (letters, medals, pins, etc).  

Also, what are the major places / websites that collector buy and sell?  

Thank you again,

Jenny

• 2 weeks later...
Sailorjerry45

Well he will be passing this thread onto the person he sold the jumper to so hopefully that proves to be fruitful.

In addition, rag factories have ended up with, mostly in the 80s and 90s, many, many WWII military uniforms. How they get there I'm not entirely sure.

Dave