Recent chevron finds

jasonc

I was excited about a few recent chevron purchases, so I thought I'd share them with everyone. Nothing super rare, but certainly a few that I've been hunting for a while, including the dress Staff Sgt. Hope you guys like them.

post-124367-0-29104200-1506904083_thumb.jpg

Not sure, really. It's an oddball that I picked up because it looked cool. I figure it's some kind of novelty item. It's made of layers of leather cut and dyed and glued together. The base has holes like it was stitched to something. It has an EGA stamped on the back. I haven't run across another one. Maybe someone else knows more about it?

I'll post a couple more pictures of it when I get the chance.

Not sure, really. It's an oddball that I picked up because it looked cool. I figure it's some kind of novelty item. It's made of layers of leather cut and dyed and glued together. The base has holes like it was stitched to something. It has an EGA stamped on the back. I haven't run across another one. Maybe someone else knows more about it?

I'll post a couple more pictures of it when I get the chance.

Hmm, don't know either.

Congratulations. Some nice items in there. The Wide Sgt Maj are tough to find

Thanks! Those are definitely a favorite.

The SSGT chevron on the right might be Civil Air Patrol (WW2 era)

Thanks, What about it jumps out to you? The shape of the rocker has always stood out to me as different from some of my wool and bevo, etc others.

Thanks, What about it jumps out to you? The shape of the rocker has always stood out to me as different from some of my wool and bevo, etc others.

The chevrons being fully embroidered. Green uniform USMC chevrons of that era are usually either cut-out wool, or woven ("Bevo")

Then there's the fly in thee old ointment der.

Coats, both WWII and Korea with embroidered FG on Red stripes, and with mesh/gauze backing. Me? I was under the impression these type were late war private purchase, Gold on Red too.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/93687-tailored-1st-mardiv-uniform-what-do-you-all-think/

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35039-my-ww2-marine-uniforms/

Here's a set of Woisk tagged Cpl stripes from WWII/Korea, I'd say late WWII.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/91717-korea-era-marine-coporal/

I had forgotten about this thread where they're discussed as CAP vs USMC:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/97443-ww2-civil-air-patrol-chevrons/

One interesting thing that thread points out is that the CAP ones should be 3" wide, while the USMC ones are 3 1/2".

For whatever it's worth, I have a pair of SSgt and Technical Sgt with Wosk tags like that Cpls pair. The Platoon Sgt in my original post has a Wosk tag, but it doesn't have the USMC codes they used.

Maybe this side-by-side photo might be interesting? The Pfc & Cpl on the right are slightly over 3" wide, while the one on the left is just over 3 1/2".

post-124367-0-64219500-1507002406_thumb.jpg

Those are cool. The contours and proportions of the leather one look more British than US.

I don't know a lot about Marine chevrons, can someone educate me about the time-frame of the cut yellow fabric on red? As opposed to the yellow braid.

Thanks for the post!

Justin B.

Those are cool. The contours and proportions of the leather one look more British than US.

I don't know a lot about Marine chevrons, can someone educate me about the time-frame of the cut yellow fabric on red? As opposed to the yellow braid.

Thanks for the post!

Justin B.

Interesting idea that the leather one could be British. It does have the USMC EGA on the back, though it is hard to make out.

I haven't seen many of the cut fabric dress ones you mention, but the couple I have seen were called "pre-wwii." I don't have a lot of evidence for that, so take it for what it's worth.

Interesting idea that the leather one could be British. It does have the USMC EGA on the back, though it is hard to make out.

I don't think it's British, the lines just look more like that than US. I don't think it was necessarily intentional.

I haven't seen many of the cut fabric dress ones you mention, but the couple I have seen were called "pre-wwii." I don't have a lot of evidence for that, so take it for what it's worth.

Interesting, thank you.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The contours and proportions of the leather patch DO resemble the current British stripes but that is how the Marine Corps' ranks were from about 1954-1959. Not necessarily in the cloth ranks but this is when the metal insignia first came into use and that is generally how they appeared. The first ranks were made in Korea from melted down brass casings then painted red between the chevrons and shortly thereafter the Corps authorized the first "official" metal ranks. They were about about an inch and half wide and followed the same general design. I will post some photos when I find them.

To the best of my knowledge, as far as the dress chevrons, the yellow braid on red felt was the style since before 1900 and lasted throughout WW2. Sometime during the war, cloth on felt and embroidered chevrons started making their appearance and by the end of the war not many of the braided chevrons were still being produced. Starting in about 1954 all the ranks were embroidered and the only two changes since then were the revision of the rank structure in 1959 (when crossed rifles were added) and then in the 1990's sometime when the cut edge ranks all transitioned to having merrowed edges.