POST YOUR UN-OFFICIALLY HAND ENGRAVED MEDALS FROM WWII

KASTAUFFER

Because so many WWII medals were presented to recipients overseas, many veterans opted to have their medals engraved later. They generally had inscribed whatever information was relevant to them, be it the date of action, date of presentation, etc. Here's a couple I thought would be of interest:

post-162020-0-85503000-1507310396_thumb.jpg

Soon after returning from overseas, Swett had his rank, name, and date of action engraved on the reverse of his MoH. Some years later he scratched his SSN number into the medal. Now that's "hand engraved!"

Edson's MoH was presented to him in Australia in 1943. Sometime after that he had it nicely engraved, but who did, when, and where, are long forgotten. Perhaps in Australia or after he returned stateside. Either way, its nice engraving.

post-162020-0-90850100-1507310747_thumb.jpg

Here are some WWII army examples of self engraving( Due to photo size limitations, I'll have to make multiple posts for other examples):

post-162020-0-22462600-1507311329_thumb.jpg

Van Iersel obtained a number of replacement medals over the years. I believe this is his original:

post-162020-0-79555300-1507312104.jpg

McMurty's MoH award was one of a handful approved before the armistice, although his G.O. is dated Dec 2, 1918. At what point he had this engraved is not known to me. The format and style does not match any other observed official WWI army MoH engraving: I have not seen any officially engraved MoH's from any period that include the presentation date.

post-162020-0-63112000-1507312180_thumb.jpg

Some wonderful "works of art" in this thread! Thanks to all of you for sharing these fantastic pieces and thanks to Kurt for starting the thread. :love:

• 4 weeks later...

I posted this one a few years ago. but it fits here also.

ORIGINAL POST http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/245851-air-medal-interesting-inscription/?hl=halsey

The inscription reads:

Presented To

R.W.HALL. AMM1/C

BY

ADM.W.F.HALSEY

I really like this one!

Kurt

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all!

A great thread, my thanks to K for starting it, it has been quite enjoyable. Here is one of my favorites, I had it for quite some time and have always admired its engraving.

Best wishes!

Joe

post-48324-0-71645100-1511996011_thumb.jpg

Another addition to this great thread....Kurt might remember this one as I purchased it from him a few years ago. It is a privately engraved Air Medal named to a 386th Bomb Group engineer/gunner who flew an amazing 90 missions. Interestingly on this one, just the last four of his serial number was used and he apparently went by his middle name of "Gordon". It took me a bit of looking to track him down as his first name was Alfred. One of my favorites!

***Gordon is pictured first from the left, laying on the nose.

post-330-0-24548200-1512248759_thumb.jpg

post-330-0-65806300-1512248767.jpg

• 1 month later...