US Navy Aviation, NASA Shuttle, & Patch Assistance

Edelweisse

Salvage Sailor

AGM-65 Maverick Missile system??

Harpoon...?? Do USN Pilots wear these weapon system patches?

Yes, some do, they are USN Weapons systems patches

Salvage Sailor did a great job explaining the various patches.

I would like to point out that this Captain was not a pilot though, he was a Naval Flight Officer and was trained as a A-6 Bombardier / Navigator.

Great patches!!

Chris

WOW....I would like to THANK YOU both Salvage Sailor or Chris for your help in ID'ing these patches and clarifying pilot and NFO. This helped me (a USAF type) understand a little the US Navy avaition side of the house. I had to google Naval Flight Officer....WOW...I didn't know.

"A naval flight officer (NFO) is a commissioned officer in the United States Navy or United States Marine Corps who specializes in airborne weapons and sensor systems. NFOs are not pilots (naval aviators) per se, but they may perform many "co-pilot" functions, depending on the type of aircraft. Until 1966, their duties were performed by both commissioned officer and senior enlisted naval aviation observers (NAO)."

The US Navy flight jackets must look "CRAZY" with plenty of patches..OR...are there any limits on number of patches on "Duty" flight jackets? OR....Are we talking they can wear as many as they can on an "off-duty" flight jacket?

When I was in the Navy (1981-2001) there were no Navy wide regulations on what patches you could wear. There were local command level regulations that usually specified the use of the Squadron patch worn on the right front chest, and the use of squadron name tags on flight jackets. Anything else was pretty much allowed (previous commands, centurion, missiles and bomb patches etc etc).

I never heard of an "off duty" jacket. The wear of flight gear with civilian clothes was frowned upon and would instantly result in loser status being assigned to the offender. Nobody wanted to be a Tom Cruise Pop Gun wannabe. ?

Chris

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor did a great job explaining the various patches.

I would like to point out that this Captain was not a pilot though, he was a Naval Flight Officer and was trained as a A-6 Bombardier / Navigator.

Great patches!!

Chris

Aye,

Thus all of the Weapons related patches in his memorabilia

When I was in the Navy (1981-2001) there were no Navy wide regulations on what patches you could wear. There were local command level regulations that usually specified the use of the Squadron patch worn on the right front chest, and the use of squadron name tags on flight jackets. Anything else was pretty much allowed (previous commands, centurion, missiles and bomb patches etc etc).

I never heard of an "off duty" jacket. The wear of flight gear with civilian clothes was frowned upon and would instantly result in loser status being assigned to the offender. Nobody wanted to be a Tom Cruise Pop Gun wannabe. ?

Chris

Chris.....Thank you for your dedication & service.... As far as my comment....I was thinking "Off duty"..as just a civilian jacket worn...looking like a little boy with a million patches on a flight jacket.

I like you comment....."Tom Cruise Pop Gun wannabe"....."loser status"....how true!