New Haven, CT.

Hi all,

In a few weeks I'll be visiting the United States again. I'll be staying there from October 22nd till November 14th. I have alot planned during this visit but was also hoping to check out some antique shops, surplus stores, gun/militaria shows, flea markets or any other places where one could find WWII memoribilia.

One of the places I'll be in the neighborhood is New Haven, Connecticut. Does anyone know some places where one could succeed to fins some stuff? I'd be willing to drive for lets say 2.5 hours tops.

Any tips are more than welcome!

*note to the admins; I made multiple posts for different places, hopefully that'll be no problem? If so feel free to merge them into one post!

The museum in Danbury has closed and all of its collection given to the Museum of American Armor in Bethpage Long Island.

You can visit the West Haven Veterans Museum and Learning Center 30 Hood Terrace West Haven CT 06516 Phone # 203-934-1111 which is the town next door.

And if you've never been to West Point, the Hudson River valley is beautiful in the fall. Don't forget the Springfield Armory in Massachusetts.

Connecticut gun shows are a thing of the past, getting fewer and far between. You'll find several gun stores, including Hansen & Co. In Southport, Delta Arsenal in Wallingford, and Greyson's in Orange.

Military Specialties is a surplus / collectors store on the Berlin Turnpike in Newington.

Elephants Trunk flea market is on route 7 in New Milford, just north of Danbury on sundays.

Redwood Country Flea Market is on weekends in Wallingford.

Regards, and enjoy.

Steve T

There used to be a surplus store in Groton not far from the sub base when I was stationed there but that was over 10 years ago. I don't know if it's still around or not.

It's still a cool area to visit. The "submarine capital of the world" with the sub base and Electric Boat. The USCG Academy is right across the Thames River. The USS Nautilus and submarine museum are right outside the base.

Elephants trunk is a must. Also, a 10 minute drive south on I95 from New Haven will bring you to Stratford Antique Center. While their militaria has gone down in numbers over the years (I cleaned them out as a teen), you can still find some hidden gems

There used to be a surplus store in Groton not far from the sub base when I was stationed there but that was over 10 years ago. I don't know if it's still around or not.

It's still a cool area to visit. The "submarine capital of the world" with the sub base and Electric Boat. The USCG Academy is right across the Thames River. The USS Nautilus and submarine museum are right outside the base.

Thames Valley Surplus. Pat, the owner, died a few years ago and the store no longer exists. I love the Sub museum. My grandfather was a docent, and I grew up shopping at the commissary with my grandparents.