CW Relic Musket - Rosensteel?

OK Gents, let's try this one. At the local auction this past weekend I won this relic musket, a minty Bullseye Canteen made into a scout canteen and a nice CW Era folding chair withe name stenciled or painted on the back.

Will post the latter later if interested. But here is the musket. It has an older tag on it that says it was in the Rosensteel Collection. I know, buy the musket not the story, but for $20.00 I couldn't pass. The tag is pre-WW2, as it doesn't blacklight. It has been coated with shellac and covered with dust and fur.... :unsure: There is an old lead patch across the back of the tang, and it appears the stock is actually an older Model 1816. Take a look at where the lock bolts would go through.

Anyway, it is most interesting and IMHO, though it will never be proven, may actually be from that collection.

Thanks for looking and Best Regards!

- Mike

Sorry, couldn't delete the duplicate photo.

post-5950-0-51621700-1506633255_thumb.jpg

post-5950-0-81178700-1506633279_thumb.jpg

post-5950-0-01257200-1506633358_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...
Marktk36thIL

Hi Mike S.,

Question, what is the bore diameter? Are there any stampings on the barrel as well?

The washers on the opposite side of the musket lock appear to make it something from the 1855-1864 rifle series, not of the m1816 series of smoothbore muskets.

The wrist of the musket was repaired at one point as indicated by the pins.