70th Division helmet

lugi45

Hello all, are there any 70th Division experts out there? This fixed bail is very early with a heat stamp of 85B. The liner is an early Westinghouse. On the liner is the remnants of a 70th Division emblem and the name Cash. On the suspension in the liner is written Cash and JSC 6153. JSC 6153 is also written on the inside of the leather liner chinstrap. Could anyone help find information on Mr. Cash? This helmet displays very well and has a great look to it.Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks! I don't have any nice painted M1s or anything but I do have a few nice plain ones!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Disregard. The initials don't match up.

I got excited for a moment! Thanks for trying though

Great lid. Is the shell original to the liner? 

I'm not entirely sure. There is rust inside the shell but its not on the liner so I don't know. Might be a put together set but they go together very well. The shell itself has no markings anywhere.

Did a quick search but couldn't come up with a matching GI..

Well thanks for trying!

So I just searched the WWII memorial website and found this. The initials match up and so do the last 4. Thinking this may be him. Posted Image

stealthytyler

So I just searched the WWII memorial website and found this. The initials match up and so do the last 4. Thinking this may be him. 1dcd03f810f056e967e1c5d761c9a205.jpg

That's probably not him. His grave says he was Cavalry. The 70th ID was Infantry. His death was December 14th 1944 at which time the 70th was just arriving in-country.

That's probably not him. His grave says he was Cavalry. The 70th ID was Infantry. His death was December 14th 1944 at which time the 70th was just arriving in-country.

Is it possible that he left the 70th before and transferred to the cavalry? I don't know what else it could be. I'm at a dead end if not. I don't know how else to research it.

stealthytyler

Is it possible that he left the 70th before and transferred to the cavalry? I don't know what else it could be. I'm at a dead end if not. I don't know how else to research it.

Im not sure. I guess anything is a possibility. But I thought the 70th consisted of north western soldiers? This guys was from Oklahoma.

Is that green paint over the axe or the white axe paint chipping away? 

I think white paint chipping away. I'll look closer when I get home.

TheMinistryOfAviation

Sure does seem like James S Cash is the closest bet; but the points Tyler brings up are definitely fair.

Hope you're able to sort this one out cause its a fantastic helmet!

-Jeremy

Sure does seem like  James S Cash is the closest bet; but the points Tyler brings up are definitely fair.

Hope you're able to sort this one out cause its a fantastic helmet!

-Jeremy

Yeah he has a good point so I don't know. Only match I could find with the last 4 and the initials.

Is that green paint over the axe or the white axe paint chipping away? 

It is definitely white paint chipping away. The paint that is chipping away is much thicker than the paint on the last name.

• 5 weeks later...

I did some research on James S. Cash. On the 1940 census he was listed as "Jimmy". I just discovered "Jim Cash 6153" written on the inside of the leather chinstrap and "Jim Cash" written on the sweatband. I had not noticed them before. He was listed as being a radio operator in the 83rd Reconnaissance Troop. I have no idea why this helmet would be marked with a 70th Division axe head but the numbers and name match up to this individual. He died 14 Dec 1944 as a result of wounds. Posted ImagePosted Image

The 70th was on their way to France during the time of this mans death. Doesn't sound like the right guy to me.

At this point I am disregarding any ties to the 70th. I don't know how the axe head got on there but I've looked through every 70th ID unit roster I could find and no Cash with the last four digits of 6153 was there. I haven't found another JS Cash with 6153 anywhere in his service number. This helmet came with no provenance and was pretty cheap so I don't believe it to be faked. There was no insane profit for the seller. There was no story sold with it. I may never know for sure but until another Jim Cash comes up I'll believe I found the man who wore this helmet at one time.

The 70th rosters are incomplete... Most of the rosters that are available are from post war Unit Histories. Some guys only did their basic training in the 70th Div and went overseas with other units in the ETO/PTO.. The painted liners were only worn during their basic training in the States. I've got a 276th IR, 70th Div liner and I can't track the original owner too.. Perhaps we own the liners of two guys who went overseas with other units..