213th aero squadron pin?

blind pew

post-171127-0-47611200-1506473946.jpgpost-171127-0-35494000-1506473961.jpgNew to this area of collecting and am trying to read as much as possible. I am familiar with german imperial enameled awards, but not US awards or squadron pins. In the enameling process, as seen in the PLM, the base metal is scored or "roughed" to provide a template, over which the enamel is placed to assure adhesion after kiln firing.

I have read that pilots in aero squadrons were given enameled squadron pins, while the ground crews were given non enameled metal cut outs of the pins; I cannot remember the source. Thus this pin, which is on ebay, and, given the crude appearance of the pin, one would assume is a fake. However, given what I know about the "metal templates" upon which enamel is placed for german imperial awards, it makes one wonder if this could be a period example of the non enameled, metal "cut outs".

Any thoughts?

This is the most commonly found version.

Thanks Escadrille

I am ignorant of these badges/pins. Is the pin you posted an original? If so, do you have a shot of the reverse? The pin you posted is, of course, the 93rd and not the 213th.

Is the pin I posted a flat out fake? In addition to the backing of imperial awards, the presumed "collector's copy" from *************** of the 11th aero has the same hatched effect on a flat surfaced medal.

Oops!! Wrong image. Yes this is the 93rd. 213th is by the same maker. I'll post the correct image tonight.

Charlie

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing it.

This is from a reliable source. I have seen the same pin in other collections where the collectors are more experienced than me.

There is a known variant ordered by the pilot who lost his original. The variant is a high quality jeweler-made badge. It is believed to be one-of-a-kind.

Charlie

Damn- that is cool. Thanks very much, Charlie for the information and the great pics. The help and effort is appreciated!

This is from a reliable source. I have seen the same pin in other collections where the collectors are more experienced than me.
There is a known variant ordered by the pilot who lost his original. The variant is a high quality jeweler-made badge. It is believed to be one-of-a-kind.
Charlie