1945 REO-Farm Auction

Brian Keith

I first saw this truck about 1977; it came to auction last Saturday when the fourth generation farm was sold. It was advertised as a 1945 Willys 6 X 6 truck with dump bed. I actually always thought it was a Studebaker. If you know a bit about the REOs, you can see why I thought that! If it were an Indiana-made Studebaker, I would have been a stronger bidder, I dropped out and it sold for $1600. Enjoy the photos! Thanks for looking.

BKW

post-1549-0-79573800-1506473362_thumb.jpg

post-1549-0-35555500-1506473482.jpg

Thanks for your comments Earlymb. A nearby farmer said that this truck was originally purchased surplus by one other farmer, and it was "in the crate" and had to be assembled. That farmer sold it at a farm sale. So, this truck is only on it's third owner since being surplused. I do know most of the Studbakers were sent to Russia as part of Lend-Lease, I suppose the Reo's as a subcontract were also.

I bid what I thought I could spend on it. I really don't need another project!

The previous owner passed away and the remaining (non-farming) family sold the farm. I did some work for the previous owners mother in the late 1970's and for him also. His mother was about four foot tall and just as sweet as can be. He, on the other hand was not. One time when I was at his mother's place, he came storming down there (he lived on a property about a mile west) and demanded we leave. His mother came out of the house and verbally tore into him about how we worked for her and he didn't have any say into the matter. Oh, did I tell you he had a lever action rifle with him? Well he glared at us and fired the rifle into the air and left. After that, anytime we worked out there, I was packing heat! Yes, legally, I had and have a permit to carry!

BKW