Fixed Bale 9th Div. 39th Inf.

Dirt Detective

Dirt Detective

Hey Guys, at the show this week in pomona I picked up this fixed bail said to be bought from the vets daughter. When i asked how sure he was of the originality of the helmet he said he was 1000% sure as he bought it straight from the vets daughter. The vets name was John H. Losnes from the 9th div, 39th reg, company I. also with this helmet was a German Sd helmet said to be a bring back from the above vet.

What do you guys think? liner looks to be westinghouse original OD paint..helmet looks to be a period brushed repaint. Opinions???

post-2677-1225657604.jpg

post-2677-1225657628.jpg

Did you see this obit? http://www.codywhitefuneralservice.com/obi...69&id=31581

Mr. John H. Losnes, age 85, beloved husband of Helen Spacek Losnes of Orange, passed away on Thursday, June 19, 2008 at his home. He was born on January 3, 1923 in New Haven to the late Justan and Ida Johnson Losnes. Mr. Losnes was a U.S. Army veteran and served with the 9th Infantry Division at the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. He was a carpenter for many years before his retirement. In addition to his devoted wife, he leaves a brother, Bill Losnes and his wife, Betty of Branford and a sister, Aina Johnson of MA and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by brothers and sister, Carl, Raymond, and Robert and a sister, Eva. A Graveside Service will be held on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. in the State Veteran’s Cemetery, Middletown. Family and friends may call on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Cody-White Funeral Home.

Dirt Detective

Thanks Beast..I didnt see that..All I knew is that he was born in 23 and died in 08. I will keep looking for ID marking on both liner and lid. Thanks for some info to the puzzle...

Is that a LT bar on the liner?

I found this on the DVA grave finder webpage:

LOSNES, JOHN H

PFC US ARMY

WORLD WAR II

DATE OF BIRTH: 01/03/1923

DATE OF DEATH: 06/19/2008

BURIED AT: SECTION 62C SITE 3

STATE VETERANS CEMETERY

BOW LANE MIDDLETOWN, CT 06457

Oh my friend, I think you may have been duped by the seller, this helmet has all the characteristics of a reproduction. Looks like someone has used an aging coating on the lettering and the rest of the shell to give it a fake patina look. Also, the reason the AAAO had the look that it does was because they were done with a stencil. You can see that these leters were done individually by free hand. Man, I really hate to rain on your parade so, let a few of the other guys look at this one before you take my word but, I have some real concerns on this. As for the name and history, these can be pulled off the internet very easily and applied to any helmet story.

just-a-good-ole-boy
Did you see this obit? http://www.codywhitefuneralservice.com/obi...69&id=31581

Mr. John H. Losnes, age 85, beloved husband of Helen Spacek Losnes of Orange, passed away on Thursday, June 19, 2008 at his home. He was born on January 3, 1923 in New Haven to the late Justan and Ida Johnson Losnes. Mr. Losnes was a U.S. Army veteran and served with the 9th Infantry Division at the Battle of the Bulge during WWII. He was a carpenter for many years before his retirement. In addition to his devoted wife, he leaves a brother, Bill Losnes and his wife, Betty of Branford and a sister, Aina Johnson of MA and several nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by brothers and sister, Carl, Raymond, and Robert and a sister, Eva. A Graveside Service will be held on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 at 11:00 a.m. in the State Veteran’s Cemetery, Middletown. Family and friends may call on Monday from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Cody-White Funeral Home.

I am not sure about the helmet, but notice the obituary doesnt mention anything of him having a daughter think.gif just my 2 cents

Steve

Was he an Enlisted man or an Officer?

Because the shell is for Enlisted man and the liner is a for an Officer. think.gif

I dont recall ever seeing a 39th Inf helmet with a 9th Div insignia on the front before.

Also, the reason the AAAO had the look that it does was because they were done with a stencil. You can see that these leters were done individually by free hand.

Here are examples of the stencil.

post-2686-1225671690.jpg

post-2686-1225671743.jpg

if the liner was used by a ww2 vet in the bulge and after, the sweat band would show signs of discoloration and the liner after 60 plus years would be gritty inside. as one guy once said to me -- a combat helmet used in war time would be beat to sh-t. that is unless the guy was a desk jockey or non combat personnel.

FightenIrish35

Yes it all just doesnt make any sense....I remember seeing this auction to,he had a rule in it like whoever wins this helmet gets a vet bringback german helmet,I bet that made the bidding jump on it. think.gif Sellers will do anything for money.

Dirt Detective

I'm not totally convinced either way...this was bought at the militaria show this weekend..when did someone see it on auction? Do you remember when and where? I will email the seller and get some more info and see what he says. I agree..its very easy to pull a name from wherever. think.gif

FightenIrish35

I saw an auction on ebay last week for a painted helmet.....very blurry shots,you could barely see it and then there was a picture of that exact german helmet in the backround and seller said he oculdnt take a closer image because of ebay ruules but it will be thrown in with the auction. Good luck trying to figure this out lol it seems confusing.

I have seen this helmet..I cannot remember if it was on ebay or if it was on http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/

Bugme, is this the helmet I sent you an email about?? You said it was a fake do to the way the unit marking was painted. I know for a fact I have seen this helmet or at least one JUST like it and it was a fake...I am very sorry, but I am 100% sure.

Wade

I have seen this helmet..I cannot remember if it was on ebay or if it was on /

Bugme, is this the helmet I sent you an email about?? You said it was a fake do to the way the unit marking was painted. I know for a fact I have seen this helmet or at least one JUST like it and it was a fake...I am very sorry, but I am 100% sure.

Wade

Send an email to http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com with the pics...I am sure that is where I saw this helmet. IF he says that it is not the one I think it is, then I retract my statement about it being 100% fake..if it is the helmet...you better go find the guy you purchased it from and have your way with him!

Wade

Wade

Wade, I know I've seen this helmet before, I just can't remember where. If it wasn't this helmet then it was one exactly like it. dunno.gif

I have seen this helmet..I cannot remember if it was on ebay or if it was on http://www.germanhelmetsinc.com/

Wade

The helmet on German helmets.inc was not this one, as the isignia did not have the distinctive wash this one has on it. Not a good sign.Pete

Dirt Detective

Thanks for all the help on this guys. I spent an hour or two looking at ended auctions on ebay and have not found this helmet on there. If anyone had it on their watch list and know the auction number that would be great if you could post that.

Painted WWII helmets are a minefield today but when the seller looks you in the eye and says he bought it direct from the vets daughter and its 1000% orig and it turns out to be a humped lid...I've got a problem with that. On top of this the guys at the German helmet site are saying the decal on the German lid is fake too.

I'm gonna contact the seller through the email he gave me and see what he says...I have his name and know the table he was at, I'm sure Vintage productions will be concerned about having sellers at his shows selling humped items as original. The West Coast Historical Militaria Collectors Show is a great event and it is to everybody's interest sellers like this not be allowed to do things like this.

I will keep everyone informed on what is said. Again thanks for the help guys.

Having made the conversion away from TR(dark side) helmet collecting, I hadn't really given much attention to the German lid in the background. Since this is a U.S. forum, I will abstain from going into a discussion of the 100% fake decal on this lid. Suffice it to say, the dealer you bought this from is a great story teller... however, the helmets are telling quite a bit different story.

Wade, I know I've seen this helmet before, I just can't remember where. If it wasn't this helmet then it was one exactly like it. dunno.gif

scott--- if i remember correctly, a lid with the same markings was put up on the forum. the guy was interested in buying but, first wanted opinions about it. could it be??

Notice how that helmet has been re-painted OD (probably an original wartime repaint) and THEN the AAAO and 9th ID insignia were applied. I would say that the helmet is legit, but more likely it was done at wars end or post war., and is not an Ardennes used helmet.