Thomas Joseph Allen

Owen4

Hi all. I'm an avid history (and military history) buff, but not a collector. I joined today because of a personal quest I'm on, which I'm hoping to get some advice about. I'm looking to find the Navy Cross and Purple Heart that were awarded posthumously (at least the Navy Cross was) to a brave Marine named Thomas Joseph Allen who was KIA at Okinawa in May 1945 (Stf. Sgt., Company C, First Battalion, Fourth Marines, Sixth Marine Division). He was the uncle and godfather to my mother-in-law. She was 3 when he was killed and she still has the last letter he wrote a week or so before his death. In any event, a number of years ago another member of his extended family sold the medals to a private collector. I'm not disparaging why that person did so, but my wife and I would like nothing better than to, if at all possible, buy the medals back for my mother-in-law while she is still with us. So my question is what is the best place to look for the medals of a particular Marine that are in the hands of a private collector, or perhaps this is kind of a needle in a haystack thing without much chance of success. Apologies for the long post, but any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Owen (I live in Chicago area)

I wish you luck as you have a tough journey and the medals could be anywhere.You have at least started by posting here, perhaps someone on here could have them.There are literally multitudes of Medal collecting pages on Facebook you can also try.Google the name weekly just in case it pops up on the internet.

Actually, here is a forum member posting the two medals you are talking about.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/120766-navy-cross-ph-kia/

Now, this was from 2011, but I would definitely contact them. Perhaps they still have them, perhaps they know where they went, if they don't. Anyway, a better lead! Really hope that you find them again!

Do you have T.J.'s PA vet comp form or burial record? I have the full-size images, and can send them to you if you send me an email address. ;)

Hope you run them to ground! I'd love to find my GGGUncle's medals one time, too.

So, we now know these medals sold here on the forum. It is up to the discretion of the owner to respond. I do not remember the buyer but at that time one option would be a person who is no longer a member.

Thanks so much for the responses and useful suggestions. I really appreciate them and will try to contact the 2011 poster. And I understand that whoever owns the medals now is the rightful owner and if they have no desire to make themselves known, or part with them, then c'est la vie. Just reading these forums, I can see how much respect collectors have for the servicemen and women behind their collections, with or without a family connection. So I have no doubt the ones I am looking for are in good hands, even if I never find them.

Thanks so much for the responses and useful suggestions. I really appreciate them and will try to contact the 2011 poster. And I understand that whoever owns the medals now is the rightful owner and if they have no desire to make themselves known, or part with them, then c'est la vie. Just reading these forums, I can see how much respect collectors have for the servicemen and women behind their collections, with or without a family connection. So I have no doubt the ones I am looking for are in good hands, even if I never find them.

Good luck on your journey.