508th PIR Co D. D-Day Paratrooper - KIA D-Day + 1

Airborne-Hunter

Airborne-Hunter

I'm good friends with a local second hand store owner and this walked in last week. He knew exactly what it was and it was very expensive, but it's the most complete airborne group I have ever found. My understanding is that he packed all of this stuff up in either a duffel bag or trunk in preparation for the invasion and with the anticipation that it would be sent to France. He jumped over Saint Mere Eglise with the 508th on D-Day. He was killed in France on D-Day +1. I can't seem to find a citation or any record as to what exactly happened, but he is buried in Normandy. It is my understanding that after his death his trunk/duffel bag was forwarded to his relatives who brought it into the store. His Purple Heart and some other uniforms still exist, including another jump jacket.

Included in this lot are:

2 - M42 Jump Jackets (one with at least 1 cutter tag)
3 - M42 Jump Trousers (two unworn - 1 with cutter tags)
1 - M41 Jacket
3 - Khaki shirts
3 - khaki trousers

1- wool trousers
3- sweaters

1 - 508th training shorts

1 - set of training running shoes

1 - set of boots

1 - HBT Coveralls
1 - wool shirt

Best ABN

post-1800-0-17553400-1506366918_thumb.jpg

Nice group J

Have seen a couple where vets sent a bag home prior to leaving the states too.

Have a Nice 42 jump suit and a tagged M41 to a 17th Abn vet who sent his home while state side

In addition, I would like to know their offer is....

While I admit I am curious also, it is not really any of our business. Had the OP wanted to share the price, he would have likely told us the dollar amount instead of saying it was: very expensive.

In the end, these items look like new and not nearly 75 years old, a virtual time capsule of history. A great pick-up!

Austin_Militaria

I take it as it was not $10 and he is a serious collector willing to pay good money for something that he wants.

While I admit I am curious also, it is not really any of our business. Had the OP wanted to share the price, he would have likely told us the dollar amount instead of saying it was: very expensive.

In the end, these items look like new and not nearly 75 years old, a virtual time capsule of history. A great pick-up!

• 2 weeks later...
Lucky 7th Armored

A very amazing group of items!! I cant help but think of the paratrooper meticulously packing everything to maximize the space in his duffle... A Very sad but a very amazing time capsule!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...