Dead Man's Corner Museum

Dogsbody

Hello everyone, 2 years ago I was able to visit the Dead Man's Corner Museum in Saint-Come-Du-Mont, Normandy. They had some great displays of 506th paratrooper items, some of them belonging to Lt. (at the time) Winters and Forrest 'Goody' Guth. Some of the following photos suffer from reflections a little bit but it was the best I could do at the time.

Since my visit the museum has expanded and i don't know if all the exhibits are still around.

Futher info on the museum: www.paratrooper-museum.org contact: [email protected]

and now the photos :)

post-169612-0-04715300-1506363050.jpg

post-169612-0-33132200-1506363072_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-00204600-1506363093.jpg

post-169612-0-06563400-1506363120_thumb.jpg

Hello everyone, 2 years ago I was able to visit the Dead Man's Corner Museum in Saint-Come-Du-Mont, Normandy. They had some great displays of 506th paratrooper items, some of them belonging to Lt. (at the time) Winters and Forrest 'Goody' Guth. Some of the following photos suffer from reflections a little bit but it was the best I could do at the time.

Since my visit the museum has expanded and i don't know if all the exhibits are still around.

Futher info on the museum: www.paratrooper-museum.org contact: [email protected]

and now the photos :)

attachicon.gifDSC_3468.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_3469.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_3470.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_3471.jpg

continued

post-169612-0-69251400-1506363281.jpg

post-169612-0-85230800-1506363308_thumb.jpg

post-169612-0-14289100-1506363336_thumb.jpg

Nice display but the painted binoculars case isnt his real one.THe real one is still here in the states

Hi Ron, thanks for the info. Do you know if that binoculars case always remained in the states or that it perhaps could have been loaned to the museum and meanwhile been returned? The pics are two years old.

Rene

As far as I know they never left the states and are in a private collection.As far as I know the ones in the museum were copied after seeing Winters originals when he still owned them.

I went to that museum on my tour of Normandy this year. It had impressive displays and I would recommend going to it if you happen to be in the area.

The binoculars displayed at the museum in Normandy are the real ones carried and used by Lt. Winters. They were purchased long time before the book was written (and of course the series made) with all other memorabilia of Dick Winters. ALL items (jump jacket, musette bag, footlocker, holster, etc...) were directly purchased from Dick Winters himself. Binoculars are even engraved Lt. Winters.

The binoculars displayed at the museum in Normandy are the real ones carried and used by Lt. Winters. They were purchased long time before the book was written (and of course the series made) with all other memorabilia of Dick Winters. ALL items (jump jacket, musette bag, footlocker, holster, etc...) were directly purchased from Dick Winters himself. Binoculars are even engraved Lt. Winters.

Here are the ones on display and owned by Bill Shea.As I understand it Shea purchased these direct from Winters when many things were sold prior to the BoB series and still has ownership.This display at the Gettysburg Museum of history was done in the last year or so.Jake Powers states these are Winters originals shown in the museum and if anyone would know it would be JP as he has literally handled any and all of Winters material personally.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhistory.com/portfolio/8325/

post-342-0-63101400-1506901022_thumb.jpg

(photo courtesy of GMH)Note the painted white stripe on the lid of the ones at GMH.

• 3 months later...