2 Battalion, 60th Infantry, 9th ID Recon Platoon ARVN ERDL

Klaxon

Hi All,

I picked this 1st ID combat patched, with a killer 2 Battalion, 60th Infantry, 9th ID Recon Platoon ARVN ERDL named to a SGT. Steven L Bloxham, E company.

I've never seen this pocket patch before. I've asked a few Vietnam collectors and they're saying the same. Any insight on this pocket patch and perhaps when this guy was in-county would be appreciated. Thoughts are late war by the ssi's. The 1st ID departed RVN Apr.15,1970 and the 3rd brigade, 9th ID Oct.11,1970 so it puts him there no later than that. I was told 1st ID men who hadn't completed their tour were folded into the 9th. Looked at the 1969 year book but couldn't find him. I've heard those aren't always complete though. Some great pics of the Recon platoon all wearing cammies and berets. No cool arrow head, skull, dagger, Recon Death pocket patches though.

Cheers,

Matt

post-104659-0-59129300-1506299966_thumb.jpg

Subdued merrowed edge 9th ID SSI worn on the active side on a VN uniform is a first for me.

Hi Andrei,

I guess your right it is unusual. If he was 1st ID late war just prior the division departing RVN in April 1970 and he hadn't completed his tour he was then transferred into the 9th. It would be about the right time for that style of ssi. The 1st ID ssi has remnants of thread from it being removed from another uniform.

Cheers,

Matt

So what do the back of the patches, inside the jacket, look like?

They look good. Patches have been on the shirt for a bit. It's a pretty minty shirt though but was worn. Definitely his steppin out cammies. I'll post some pics later tonight. Found out he was a shake and bake Sgt. He completed the course in June '69.

Cheers,

Matt

Shake and bake SGT.

Noncommisioned Officers Candidates Course garduation dates for S. Bloxham class of 6-69 103rd company graduation 2-9-69

post-104659-0-25753000-1506656306_thumb.jpg

The 1st two are 2 Batt. 60th Infantry, Echo Co. Recon platoon from the 1969 Vietnam year book.

The 3rd is a 9th ID sniper candidate. Can't tell if he's got a merrowed edge 9th ssi on his shirt or not.

All wearing badged ARVN ERDL.

post-104659-0-78866700-1506656348_thumb.jpg

post-104659-0-36098900-1506656371_thumb.jpg

post-104659-0-82700700-1506656469.jpg

The last picture is a incountry made patch

That vet did a tour from 68-69

http://vietnamsniper.com/tiger.asp

Better pics on his site

However some

Of the 9th did wear merrow edge in 1970 when going home

It's a great shirt btw cant see any fault

In it .

Great link to that snipers page. Looks like he was a RTO with 3rd battalion, 60th Infantry prior to becoming a sniper.

Thanks very much. I was happy to get it. Funny that no one's seen that pocket patch before. I guess it makes sense that if they were made for 20 guys and just prior to the unit leaving RVN there probably ain't a lot of them around to reference.

Cheers,

Matt

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

That is super cool. Great photos. Great picture of the XM21with M14ss-1 on the website, photos of it are rare. Thanks for the link.

Looks good....I was skeptical when some one (not you) showed me pics of the jacket but there were not pics of the inside. 2/60th was known for using in-country camo items for their recon units....there was a 2/60th Recon beret just sold on here last month.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve

Looks good....I was skeptical when some one (not you) showed me pics of the jacket but there were not pics of the inside. 2/60th was known for using in-country camo items for their recon units....there was a 2/60th Recon beret just sold on here last month.

Nice find! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Good to hear. It came from a picker who got it at a rag house here in Toronto so I was pretty confident it wasn't put together. Plus that pocket patch is probably worth the price of admission.

I know I remembered thinking it was a great beret when it was listed. I wished I gotten the shirt prior to the beret coming up for sale as it would have justified it's purchase and they'd have paired great together.

Cheers,

Matt

• 1 month later...