Paint removal uncovers name on helmet liner - want to repaint

ken88

Hi,

While scratching off several layers of lacquer from a late war helmet liner, I uncovered a name, which was a pleasant surprise.

However, as I was planning on restoring and repainting the helmet, I'm not quite sure on how I should proceed.

I'm thinking about saving the name as it's a cool detail, but I could use some tips on how to do it. Should I mask the name and areas of paint between the letters? What do I do if the color isn't the same? I'm using Fosco army paint (Olive drab) which should be a match.

This liner also needs a new A-washer, which is on its way. I ordered a special tool to set the rivets as well, but as I'm new to this, I could also use some advice on how to set the rivet properly. I already drilled out the old rivet which went smoothly. I'm guessing that the tool will need to be punched with a hammer to set the rivet in place.

Also, would there be a way to repair the cracks in the liner? Or can I at least prevent them from expanding?

Thanks in advance

Ken

IMG_4894.jpgIMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4889.jpg

I would not repaint because of risk to the name, although you could cover the name with painters tape and paint around it. The paint around the name seems to be intact so you shouldn't need to repaint it. If it was up to me though I would leave it as is with the name, I wouldn't repaint this one. It would be a very nice display piece.

Hunt

First,I'm not a helmet guy. If it were mine I would do a total restore.You can not go back on the paint removal.The name is not important as he was one on 100s of thousands of soldiers who served. If he is not historically important,who cares. The crack can be fix with fiberglass.Draw the crack together,glass the outside and epoxy the inside.Sand prime and paint.If you want the name take it to a vinyl shop and they can cut you a stencil of the exact font and you can repaint it.

And when all is said and done you have a nice looking $50-75 liner.

First,I'm not a helmet guy. If it were mine I would do a total restore.You can not go back on the paint removal.The name is not important as he was one on 100s of thousands of soldiers who served. If he is not historically important,who cares. The crack can be fix with fiberglass.Draw the crack together,glass the outside and epoxy the inside.Sand prime and paint.If you want the name take it to a vinyl shop and they can cut you a stencil of the exact font and you can repaint it.

And when all is said and done you have a nice looking $50-75 liner.

I would disagree. The name should be saved. It's not everday that you find liners with painted WW2 era markings. If you really wanted you could restore the inside webbing. There are plenty of other rough condition m1 liners out there you could restore.

Hunt

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm definitely restoring the webbing with parts now underway. I've thought about the repaint and decided that I will recreate a worn look so as to both save the name and the nature of the liner. So I am only going to repaint the ugliest areas thus restoring to a more acceptable condition. After all the bigger brothers helmet shell it will reside in is a salty looking m-1 as well.

Let me know what you think.

Ken

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'm definitely restoring the webbing with parts now underway. I've thought about the repaint and decided that I will recreate a worn look so as to both save the name and the nature of the liner. So I am only going to repaint the ugliest areas thus restoring to a more acceptable condition. After all the bigger brothers helmet shell it will reside in is a salty looking m-1 as well.

Let me know what you think.

Ken

if you are going to keep it in a shell you wont need to repaint the outside as you wont be able to see it anyway. But it is your choice.

Hunt