Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

You guys are right on target. Sent pics to Dr Fred Briuer and he confirmed plate 284 p 120. We heard from the proverbial "horse's mouth". Not that I doubted you folks , just wanted to be sure before I return or get a price adjustment. thanks, Bill

I am a little hesitant to classify these as "fake". This is what I know. They do exist in excess quantity, and are always seen in mint condition, however their manufacture is spot on. They are clean strikes with great detail. They conform to WW1 disc manufacture (except lack the square base to post, which not all original discs have) and colorization. The backs usually show decent looking age.

I think these can be found with numbers and letters attached.

I think there could be a case that these were made by a US manufacturer in early to late 1919, anticipating the return of Marines from France and that the Corps would retain the discs; anticipating demand essentially. As we know, discs were abolished upon the Marines' return. It stems to make sense that some amount of "supply" existed that was otherwise unused/unsold. I surmise that these could possibly be unused stock that have had stuff added to them over the years. It is conjecture, but so is just saying that these are "fake".

If it is unused stock, they should not be on a 5th Marines uniform and would serve a their own special place in an EGA collection. I personally have these in "not sure" bin. I also have this same version in gold (for dress uniform), which I also think lends credence to them being anticipated for a longer period of time. We do have photographic proof that gold discs were made for and were worn by Marines upon their return up until about 1920.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very nicely made EGA; unfortunately there are no markings on it. I am hoping the EGA collector community of the Forum can shed some light on maker and time period. If you have an idea on value please send me a PM regarding that. Thanks in advance

post-140407-0-48801900-1506268172_thumb.jpg

post-140407-0-91852400-1506268183_thumb.jpg

post-140407-0-70275700-1506268192_thumb.jpg

post-140407-0-43522900-1506268200_thumb.jpg

The first thing that strikes me is the rounded corners of the Flukes. Than the draping of the rope. I too believe this is a Frankenemblem: a mismatch of items to look like an EGA.

WoW!! So this is a bogus EGA. Truth be told, it is not mine, trying to find out info for a couple of buddies that were trying to do a deal. I have forwarded the links of this thread and the 'Fantasy, Repos, and Fakes' so they can work it out between themselves now.

Honestly, I would not buy and EGA unless it came from one of you folks here on the Forum, that way I know it passed the righteous test first.

Thanks guys, enjoy the remainder of your Sunday.

teufelhunde.ret

Spend your monies on something that does not arouse so many concerns, there are simply too many details of this emblem that do not look right. The first is the use of the Navy anchor...

• 1 month later...

A Friend of Mine picked up a Tunic for Me(I was out of town) from a Local Collector We both know. I have been doing some research and have some doubt that the tunic is original USMC. Any guidance is appreciated.post-10184-0-04612900-1509220968_thumb.jpg

Might be the flash, but I believe these are a well-known soft detailed fake of a known pattern, made in both screwback and pinback. Discussed here...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5101-fantasy-repro-or-counterfeit-egas/page-6

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/81551-ww1-usmc-collar-disk/

• 3 weeks later...
Schnicklfritz

I am a little hesitant to classify these as "fake". This is what I know. They do exist in excess quantity, and are always seen in mint condition, however their manufacture is spot on. They are clean strikes with great detail. They conform to WW1 disc manufacture (except lack the square base to post, which not all original discs have) and colorization. The backs usually show decent looking age.

I think these can be found with numbers and letters attached.

I think there could be a case that these were made by a US manufacturer in early to late 1919, anticipating the return of Marines from France and that the Corps would retain the discs; anticipating demand essentially. As we know, discs were abolished upon the Marines' return. It stems to make sense that some amount of "supply" existed that was otherwise unused/unsold. I surmise that these could possibly be unused stock that have had stuff added to them over the years. It is conjecture, but so is just saying that these are "fake".

If it is unused stock, they should not be on a 5th Marines uniform and would serve a their own special place in an EGA collection. I personally have these in "not sure" bin. I also have this same version in gold (for dress uniform), which I also think lends credence to them being anticipated for a longer period of time. We do have photographic proof that gold discs were made for and were worn by Marines upon their return up until about 1920.

Mike

Although I am far from an expert, I would agree with you Mike. The ones I have seen are made far better than any reproduction that I have seen. Always thought it was odd. I would think that with all them out there, the person or company making these would have been revealed by now.

• 5 months later...