I Didn't Know...Chinese Made

Dirk

A former Mod spotted this a few weeks ago and recommended I acquire it. Chinese made Vandegrift jacket with Chinese made First Mar Div SSI. Cloth is not my area, but it is his. So after getting it in hand, still had no idea....spoke to one of Admin's who also knows cloth and she passed some photos along to one of our SSI gurus...result apparently a good Chinese made SSI and jacket.....what is interesting is it has the same type of snap fasteners under the flaps of the pockets as my fur cap does. So here is another linkage between this type of fasteners and China. No other marking or name on the jacket. Again I would not have recognized what this jacket was, or if it was even good, without the help of several of our knowledgeable members. A big thanks to all on the Fourm that lent their expertise!

FullSizeRender.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_4550.JPG

IMG_4539.JPG

Thanks, Darrell....I'm dipping my toes back in the pond. Dirk, you should cross post this to the uniforms section. I'd do it for you put they took my decoder ring away.

• 1 month later...

It was one of mine that came out of the rag houses in L.A. You wouldn't believe what people used to give away to Goodwill, etc. that just landed up in rag mills. You can lose your mind if you think of all the rag houses in the country in the seventies, eighties, etc. when most didn't collect U.S. stuff. The things people just threw away would make you cry. A friend who went to the dump, found a sleeve sticking out of a bunch of thrown away clothes. It was an officer's blouse, all bullion insignia, wing, Airborne troop carrier, etc. someone just tossed in the trash!

Wow! Thanks for sharing this. I found one of these jackets a couple of years ago and have always thought it was Australian made because of its similar styling to the wool type issued there. Shows how much there is to learn. It looks like mine is nearly identical down to the pocket snaps, though there is just plain jane SSI on it. Thought I'd post a couple of pics for reference.

Chris R. :)

post-772-0-26334100-1509869282_thumb.jpg

post-772-0-89607500-1509869309.jpg

Chris, did the marine who had your uniform have holes embroidered for the EGAs or did he poke them through the fabric?

The EGA's were poked right through the material.

Chris

Nice patch, and an interesting belt. Is it the original, or a custom belt. Seems to have different material?

Thanks! I think it may have been a custom piece but honestly not sure. The buckle is a very crude brass, I think it may have been Chinese made as well.