My Hand-Embroidered Marine Raider Patch

stratasfan

Hi, All! Here is my newest embroidered patch! For my fourth try at patches, I did a Marine Raider Patch. A reenactor had asked me about the possibility of a Marine Raider patch for a living history reenactment uniform, and I didn't think about it for a while after he wasn't interested, then I decided I would try one anyway, as it is a rarer patch and might be a fun one to try. ;) Here it is. Wool felt, with cotton thread. This is all hand-embroidered - - - no machine used at any point, just me and a plain old sewing needle! ;)

Below are photos of the front, the back, and with a ruler to show size. :) Let me know what you think!

post-151812-0-62151300-1506118780.jpg

post-151812-0-70573100-1506118791.jpg

post-151812-0-82775600-1506118802_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! This one was lots of fun and different from the others I've tried so far. To answer about how long it took . . . this one took about 7 hours total. Actual work, that is. I expected a bit longer, and was surprised. I usually have difficulty drawing stars, so expected more trouble with these. However, they went rather smoothly. I think with a few more, I could really get the hang of the stars! ;)

Thanks! You know, if you ever have a patch idea that you would like to see me try, I am always open for suggestions! I particularly like the embroidered-on-wool patches, but have done a solid embroidered one before. Also, no devils or ladies in a state of . . . shall we say "undress"? ;) Other than that, it just depends on how much detail is in them as to whether or not I can actually do it. However, I am always open to suggestions and ideas! ;)

Well since you asked....... ^_^ How about this 27th division patch? I've absolutely no idea if it is a challenge or not but I always liked the design of this patch. And it does have stars..... ;). Let's see what others come up with.

post-169612-0-34613700-1506279650_thumb.jpg

Rene

OK! NY National Guard interests me anyway. Is it a dark green or black background? I can't really tell from the photos! Love that that hammer looking-thing is actually "N.Y.D."!

Just finished my appliqued wool Polar Bear patch, so I'll get my Sis to photograph it, too!

OK! NY National Guard interests me anyway. Is it a dark green or black background? I can't really tell from the photos! Love that that hammer looking-thing is actually "N.Y.D."!

Just finished my appliqued wool Polar Bear patch, so I'll get my Sis to photograph it, too!

Hi, the background is black. This thread shows several other variations but most are fully embroidered. There are some interesting variations on the stars, though.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/123-27th-infantry-division/

Rene