Shadow Box Project for Korean War Veteran

P-40Warhawk

Hi all,

I am trying to make a shadowbox type of display for a relative of mine, which I want to give him soon. I will need to track down the appropriate items, and try to figure out his service as best I can. I want this to be a surprise for him, and I want to make it myself if possible (or at least assemble it myself) so it will be a personal gift.

My questions are what medals would an Army veteran be eligible for that served in Korea from 1950 through at least late 1951 or 1952? He was assigned to X Corps, 4th Signal Bn I believe. I do know he was with X Corps. He was discharged before the armistice was signed, so he never received any ribbon other than the Korean Service one (and said he never got the medal, just the ribbon). I don't know if I should stick with period items in the display for him, or also consider the newer ones he is eligible for too? One of them he should have had (but never sent off for while it was available) was the Missouri medal for Korean War veterans that came out around the 50th anniversary of the war.

Any thoughts as to what should be included, or what to use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Someone I talked to suggested finding some distinctive insignia and placing it in the case, but I don't know if any unit specific insignia existed, or if he would have worn X Corp distinctive insignia (I do know he wore the SSI).

I don't know much about the Army (Served 23 years in the USMC), but I would recommend if you are doing a shadow box, you can put the following in it:

Rank Insigias (all of them or the last rank he obtained)

Unit Patches from his uniform

Name Patch/Badge

Army Dress insignias

Brass Plate with name, service dates

Medals (as you stated)

Ribbons (as you stated)

Weapons qualification badges (rifle, pistol, machine gun, etc)

Flag

If you have the member's DD 214, that is always helpful.

If I can help with anything else, please advise!

SF
Chuck

If you do not have his DD-214, you can contact the National Archives in St Louis to provide a copy, as well as provide replacement medals. However, this can take months, so you instead may want to pay a researcher to pull his record so you can figure out the awards yourself. This usually costs around $35, depending on who you use

Keep in mind the Army and Air Force sections had a massive fire in 1973, and many records were destroyed (up to 70%), however they are still in the process of restoring and recovering them, I believe.

Good points, I don't have his 214 (he had it about 10 years ago,but it was held together by tape). Since he was discharged in 1952/53, I guess it probably wouldn't have had all the ribbons on it since a couple of them hadn't been authorized at the time, but were made retroactive (like a NDSM).

I appreciate the ideas! I have never done this, so it's a learn as you go experience. My goal is to get this done within 30 days, because sooner is always better than later!

There's some value to be had from taking your time and doing it right, the first time...but if there's a reason to rush, then timeliness has a value all its own.

The only thing I can add to what's above is to ensure that whatever you put together is symmetrical (dress right dressed) when you get it all arranged.

These things are a labor of love, best wishes as you move forward. Please post your "draft" work, or final product before you present it.

Steve

Hi all,

I am trying to make a shadowbox type of display for a relative of mine, which I want to give him soon. I will need to track down the appropriate items, and try to figure out his service as best I can. I want this to be a surprise for him, and I want to make it myself if possible (or at least assemble it myself) so it will be a personal gift.

My questions are what medals would an Army veteran be eligible for that served in Korea from 1950 through at least late 1951 or 1952? He was assigned to X Corps, 4th Signal Bn I believe. I do know he was with X Corps. He was discharged before the armistice was signed, so he never received any ribbon other than the Korean Service one (and said he never got the medal, just the ribbon). I don't know if I should stick with period items in the display for him, or also consider the newer ones he is eligible for too? One of them he should have had (but never sent off for while it was available) was the Missouri medal for Korean War veterans that came out around the 50th anniversary of the war.

Any thoughts as to what should be included, or what to use would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is there a copy of his discharge or can one be obtained from a local county recorder?Most family members (direct relatives) may still obtain them.If possible you may have to see if a member can help you as this will determine some of the swards etc he may have gotten.

As far as DUIs his unit may have fell under X Corps but may have had a DUI they wore.

4th Signal Bn had a DI, but the design was not approved until Oct 1953, so he would not have worn then, based upon the info you provided.

As far as any other DIs, that would be speculative. Not every unit had them and not every GI wore them even if they were approved.

Is there a copy of his discharge or can one be obtained from a local county recorder?Most family members (direct relatives) may still obtain them.If possible you may have to see if a member can help you as this will determine some of the swards etc he may have gotten.

As far as DUIs his unit may have fell under X Corps but may have had a DUI they wore.

He lived in a big city for many decades, and I don't think they allow the public to access them anymore. He did have his as recently as about 10 years ago, but he has since moved into a nursing facility, and there is no telling where his original paper went. Thanks for the idea though, it made me remember that a funeral home made a copy for him (his was so fragile it was disintegrating), so maybe I can find it.

4th Signal Bn had a DI, but the design was not approved until Oct 1953, so he would not have worn then, based upon the info you provided.

As far as any other DIs, that would be speculative. Not every unit had them and not every GI wore them even if they were approved.

Thanks, that is a big help. At least I know he wouldn't have had those, which is more than I know before.

He lived in a big city for many decades, and I don't think they allow the public to access them anymore. He did have his as recently as about 10 years ago, but he has since moved into a nursing facility, and there is no telling where his original paper went. Thanks for the idea though, it made me remember that a funeral home made a copy for him (his was so fragile it was disintegrating), so maybe I can find it.

Thanks, that is a big help. At least I know he wouldn't have had those, which is more than I know before.

I was able to get my grandfathers.I hadn't realized he filed here locally but it made sense as he left here in 43.

We had a state law enacted to curb identity theft which is kinda ironic as the first thing they asked me for was his social security number and no place on the discharge is his SS number.I found it ridiculous to have to provide his SS number as how would I have it and many can be found or use to be on the SS death index on line.Discharges use to be public knowledge but here now are considered only available to family.I had to provide his SS number,date of birth and date of death.I never did have the SS number and they gave me the discharge.Funny thing is they know me as I use to go in and look through the book for hours researching local uniforms I have found over the years.

I knce even had a Veterans Affairs officer for a ajoining county pull a discharge.I had the mans name and last 4 numbers and I explained what I was looking for.I told him I didn't need an address or any full serial number or information he thought was sensitive.I just wanted to confirm his award,his unit at time of discharge etc.He was more than helpful and even thought it was great I was taking the time to inquire about a mans service.This man had no family as well other than a brother.

I also know lawyers here that have pulled them due to estate issues etc.I could have a guy do this I know when he visits the court house but I don't really want him to do a lot of leg work.

Good luck