1st Sgt Question

DaveM

Would it be possible for a senior Tech Sgt in a unit to hold this position in the USAF?

Thanks

Sure, he would be a position or slot as Acting 1st Sergeant, he might even wear that small lozenge over his rank insignia when holding this temporary position, as this, unlike the Army and Marine Corps is a separate patch and can be sewn on and off as needed.

As an example of an E-7 acting 1st Sargent, here a good talk on it.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/167569-a-new-af-rank/

There is no such thing as a Senior Technical Sergeant in the USAF. You have to be a Master Sgt, Sr. Master Sgt, or Chief Master Sgt, E-7, 8, or 9) to hold the title 1st Sgt.

There is no such thing as a Senior Technical Sergeant in the USAF. You have to be a Master Sgt, Sr. Master Sgt, or Chief Master Sgt, E-7, 8, or 9) to hold the title 1st Sgt.

I think he might of meant a senior ranking Tech Sgt, that's at least what I understood.

In the Air Force there is no such thing as a "senior" E-6 first sergeant.

All AF First Sergeants are permanent master, senior or chief master sergeants.

It is its own AFSC with some first sergeants graduating from a special training program -- or in my era -- from an ECI correspondence course.

A technical sergeant may temporary serve in that capacity but he or she wouldn't be wearing the diamond.

• 4 years later...
On 9/21/2017 at 5:57 PM, flyboy53 said:

In the Air Force there is no such thing as a "senior" E-6 first sergeant.

All AF First Sergeants are permanent master, senior or chief master sergeants.

It is its own AFSC with some first sergeants graduating from a special training program -- or in my era -- from an ECI correspondence course.

A technical sergeant may temporary serve in that capacity but he or she wouldn't be wearing the diamond.

For a time, somewhere in the 50s or 60s, Tech Sergeant were 1st Shirts as well and could wear diamonds.  I dont have exact dates 

1st TSgt Carnahan.jpg

And I stand corrected. Thank you for the education -- even though this wasn't my experience.

I was an E-6 technical sergeant for seven years and never once was referred to as a "senior" technical sergeant. I never met a E-6 serving as a first shirt and wearing diamonds.

• 6 months later...

Hello --- The US Air Force 1st Sgt -- 8F000 SDI Special Duty Identifier plus they have the Special Duty Ribbon---- The best job I ever had---- after all these years I still miss being in uniform

• 1 year later...
Marshallj

Enlisted in January 1973. After 30 years service I never saw an E6 first sergeant. Clearly before my time. 

Marshallj

I posted this yesterday in Latest Finds. A TSgt. First Sergeant uniform. I saw it in a thrift store.

D2FB31C9-310B-45C7-A4E3-F0D1620F3273.jpeg

Marshallj

So I showed the uniform to members of my USAF FB group. Lots of discussion. Some members actually said they were TSgt. first sergeants. Overall it sounds like something that went on in the early 1970's and prior and only in small unit / remote locations. Like a radar site in the middle of nowhere.    

Marshallj

So I have learned the nickname for TSgt. First Sergeants was - undershirts!