Mid-19th to early 20th Centuries Unknown militaria?

hhbooker2

"GREETINGS & SALUTATIONS!" Perhaps someone can idneify these badges. insignia, and medals, etc.? Feel free to show items you'd like to see some I.D. for you as well, thanks, folks! :rolleyes: Sarge Booker of Tujunga, California ([email protected])

post-837-1225596128.jpg

ermm.gif I suspect this may be Illinois National Guard, but when and what for, can you I.D.? Thanks!

post-837-1225596333.jpg

;) This I believe are for the State of California, can you I.D. all of these medals, parhaps? Yes? No?

post-837-1225596450.jpg

thumbsup.gif Here is a badge shaped like NCO chevrons and maybe worn on the M-1 helmet line, where and where was it worn and what does the C below stand for? Can you I.D.? Thanks!

post-837-1225596546.jpg

:unsure: Someone sent this to me, so I do now know if it is a minature or a full size rank mark (shoulder board), onbiously a Line Officer ranked as an Ensign, maybe someone to use in place of regulation marks? Can you I.D.? Thanks!

post-837-1225596655.jpg

:lol: This was held in place by a pin instead of a screw post, it was from a WW1 enlisted man's high-collar tunic, can you I.D.? Thanks!

post-837-1225596929.jpg

ermm.gif I suspect this may be Illinois National Guard, but when and what for, can you I.D.? Thanks!

Illinois National Guard Marksmanship Badge. There should be bars suspended from the rings noting the level of qualification and date.

thumbsup.gif Here is a badge shaped like NCO chevrons and maybe worn on the M-1 helmet line, where and where was it worn and what does the C below stand for? Can you I.D.? Thanks!

Non Commissioned Officer Candidate

:blink: Winged propellor, can you I.D.? Thanks!

Sarge,

That looks an awfull lot like WWI French to me. (If you have Don Chalifs' book on European wings, check it out. I'm @ work & don't have handy access to my copy.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sarge,

The Illinois Marksmanship badge is the Type I version. To my knowledge there were 3 different versions of the badge.

On the California medals:

Row 1 - Spanish-American War Service, Service Medal (Type I, Ribbon A), Service Medal (Type I, Ribbon B) and Order of California (Type I) (There are 3 different Types of this award).

Row 2 - Military Cross, Service Medal (Type II), Good Conduct Medal

Row 3 - Medal of Valor (Type I) (Type II is a Neck Ribbon award and different planchet), Medal of Merit (Type I), Commendation Medal, Good Conduct Medal

Hope this helps you out.

Robin

crying.gif Unusual medal with what looks the the number "8" on it, can you I.DE.? Thanks!

This is a Span-Am veteran's medal....the "8" is the corps badge for the 8th Corps.

Hi Sarge,

The Illinois Marksmanship badge is the Type I version. To my knowledge there were 3 different versions of the badge.

On the California medals:

Row 1 - Spanish-American War Service, Service Medal (Type I, Ribbon A), Service Medal (Type I, Ribbon B) and Order of California (Type I) (There are 3 different Types of this award).

Row 2 - Military Cross, Service Medal (Type II), Good Conduct Medal

Row 3 - Medal of Valor (Type I) (Type II is a Neck Ribbon award and different planchet), Medal of Merit (Type I), Commendation Medal, Good Conduct Medal

Hope this helps you out.

Robin

EL JEFE ROBIN: Good to hear from you! Here are some pictured and described in "CHEVRONS" by LTC William K. Emerson. They were post-WW1 U.S.Army, but can you say which branch of the Army of the United States and their titles? Thank you! w00t.gif Sarge Booker ([email protected]) LEE: You did well! JBFloyd too!

post-837-1227157389.jpg

post-837-1227157404.jpg

post-837-1227157418.jpg

post-837-1227157429.jpg

post-837-1227157441.jpg

post-837-1227157449.jpg

Laury Allison

This is the NCO Candidate badge. I believe the large size one was a pocket badge...especially with the clutch backs as mine is. There are also unit crests of this design. This was the predecessor of the current Army PME programs (BNCOC, PNCOC, and ANCOC).

The NCOC was commonly referred to as the "Shake and Bake" program during the Vietnam-era. I have seen it described as a mini-OCS program. Soldiers who showed promise during basic training were selected to attend the course. If they successfully completed the course, they were promoted to Sergeant (E-5)....usually with a set of orders to Vietnam. So a soldier with less than a year of service in the Army would be an Sergeant E-5. I know a couple of guys who were "Shake and Bakes" and they were good soldiers!

The program ran until sometime in the early to mid-1970s. I've seen pictures of soldiers wearing the unit crests, but don't remember seeing the pocket badge being worn...but I'm sure there are pictures somewhere of that.

There were also several badges in this style for different NG states. I've got one that looks almost identical to this one for Florida...except it is red and has Florida in the motto.

Laury

• 2 weeks later...
w00t.gif Mustang Guy was wondering what the maritime cap badge embroidered on wool with letters "IPG" goldwire bullion was for? Thank you, Jason! w00t.gif

post-837-1228020286.jpg