Thompson SMG - does M1928A1 were issued without a Cutts compensators ?

nicolas75

Hello

I do have a Denix Thompson replica, but asking myself if it can really portray a real one "visually speaking"

So, the question is : does M1928A1 were issued without a Cutts compensators ?

(I know i miss the magazine on it)

Thanks

post-3574-0-15514900-1505564668_thumb.jpg

Late manufactured M1928A1's did not come with a compensator. Also if it was rebarreled later in life it may not get a barrel with a compensator either.

• 3 weeks later...

As mentioned, later in the production the Cutts was dropped, but they also switched to a smooth barrel and simple fixed L-sight. These features then carried over into the M1 production.

Yours is kind of a hybrid in features but with field repairs I guess anything is possible.

Ron

The Cutts compensator was never eliminated from the M1928A1. The guns less compensator seen above are Colt Model 1921A or Model 1928A guns purchased by the British before the US entered the war which have been refitted with horizontal foregrips after the vertical foregrip suffered damage of some sort.

Marine on Okinawa.

Edit: realized the charging handle is on the side in this picture making it an M1A1

attachicon.gifMarines_Okinawa-px800-800x761.jpg

WW2JAKE, since it has a Lyman L-sight without protective wings, it's likely an M1.

El Bibliotecario

Do compansators create blast like some muzzle devices? I can see a GI who took exception to the gadget simply removing it and throwing it away.

Not possible without tools. You would need to clamp the barrel in a vise, drive out a pin which keeps the compensator from rotating, then use a suitable wrench to unscrew the comp. But, with the compensator removed, the front sight goes with it, since it is dovetailed into the larger diameter section from the back side. Aside from all that, in the end, the gun is firing a .45 ACP cartridge through a 10.5" barrel, a round originally designed for 5" pistol barrels. There isn't appreciable muzzle blast even without the compensator.

• 3 weeks later...