Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

vforvictory1945

Curious if anyone has any Korean War or earlier sub belt buckles? The top one belongs to Vintage Productions and bottom one I'm guessing Bill or Chris?

post-235328-0-80134600-1565738344.png

PhilippineBuckles

The only records of dated Submariner buckles I have are the 1943 buckle (which I do believe was actually made in 1943) and a couple of buckles from 1986. Even based on style of undated buckles, I don't know of any 1940s or 1950s Submariner buckles except the Robert Dorsey buckle (which is in my collection).

vforvictory1945

Bill - Thanks for the heads up on the Submariner buckles. I was able to acquire this 1938 - 1940 US Army Manila Belt Buckle from the Japanese collector. I was the only opportunity I'd likely have to own a pre-war Philippines belt buckle so I jumped at the chance. Ryan

post-235328-0-66830000-1565841828_thumb.jpg

vforvictory1945

This buckle is theater made but not Philippines obviously. I picked it up last year on Ebay. I'm guessing its late 40's / Occupied Japan era but thought the engraving was super well done. The seller said it was sterling but my guess it it was just silver dipped over brass. The back is kind of odd as it appears to be made to slid over an existing belt buckle. Either that or its missing the internals.

post-235328-0-85676700-1566769912_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
PhilippineBuckles

Nice score Chris! I was wondering who bought that buckle. [Just a reminder: Post #20 Shows another Beach Jumper Unit One buckle]

My latest acquisitions are these two Radioman (RM) buckles from the 1960s What I find interesting is that they are for postings far from the Philippines...

NAVCOMSTAPHIL

COMFAW-5 NAS NORVA

That said, Patrol Squadrons VP-8 and VP-26 who were part of FAW-5 were stationed at Sangley Point in 1967-1968 which at least provides one possible connection to the Philippines.

post-170933-0-57191200-1568230066_thumb.jpg

vforvictory1945

I'm curious how other people display their Philippines Belt Buckles? I really want a display rack that will give me room to grow the collection but will make displaying the buckles easy. I drew up a rough sketch and my co-worker put the idea into CAD. There's still some fine tuning but I'm liking the concept. I've only got 11 buckles now but this rack will hold 30 total. I'm trying to find a woodworker who is up to task and I figure I will either stain it a light brown or go battleship grey.

post-235328-0-69189000-1568873249_thumb.jpg

Revised drawing with groove dimensions accounting for hinged portion of buckle at back.

post-235328-0-63438200-1568936136_thumb.jpg

There's a 3D model as well.

post-235328-0-17724100-1568936230_thumb.jpg

That is a very nice design. Keep us updated on how your progress goes.

I store my buckles in Ryker mounts. I can get 31 buckles per Ryker mount. The Ryker mounts are good for storage but not really great for display. I like your design and think it would be great for display.

Chris

vforvictory1945

Chris - I will keep you posted. I'm currently trying to get a quote or two to have this rack built as I'm not a woodworker myself. I plan to fit the rack on a specific piece of furniture, a hutch, so it needs to fit within certain dimensions but essentially if you have 30+ buckles you could widen the design as much as possible or continue rows upward. Will see how it turns out.

I just love the artwork on these buckles and was trying to come up with a practical way to both store and display them at the same time.

vforvictory1945

After some searching for a Wood Worker, a came across Shelby Iverson on Etsy, https://www.etsy.com/shop/IversonWoodWorks

He's an active Air Force guy that makes some really nice display racks and he's going to tackle my design, or at least a modified version of it. I selected Cherry wood with a battleship grey stain but he does all types and varieties of woods and does stripes with different kinds of wood. I just ordered the rack and it will take 6 weeks since he makes display racks in his spare time. Price was $225.00 shipped. Will post pictures when I get it. You may want to contact him with your design. I guess he does laser engraving too but I didn't want to get that fancy.

post-235328-0-37569400-1569085857.png

• 2 weeks later...
vforvictory1945

A few new ones

post-235328-0-54077000-1569825560_thumb.jpg

Here's a real cool one with nice army crest.

post-235328-0-96110700-1569825615_thumb.jpg

Last one. I'm guessing this one is Korean War or mid 50's at latest.

post-235328-0-74211500-1569825721_thumb.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

@vforvictory1945 - Thanks for sharing pics of your newest buckles Ryan! I really like the 1945 US Army buckle for Dan H. Cole. Army buckles are uncommon. This is the first time I've seen an Army Eagle on a 1945 buckle.

In the spirit of sharing, I found the following image of a 3rd RECON Buckle for Tony Riva yesterday while doing a google image search. That said, it was no longer on the the website where Google found it.

post-170933-0-05573600-1569936137.jpg

@vforvictory1945 - Thanks for sharing pics of your newest buckles Ryan! I really like the 1945 US Army buckle for Dan H. Cole. Army buckles are uncommon. This is the first time I've seen an Army Eagle on a 1945 buckle.

In the spirit of sharing, I found the following image of a 3rd RECON Buckle for Tony Riva yesterday while doing a google image search. That said, it was no longer on the the website where Google found it.

Wow first I've seen of a Philippines made USMC Recon belt buckle. Thanks for sharing this image as now I know they are out there.

vforvictory1945

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Actually the Ryker mounts don't look so bad and they seem like the cost effective option of you have a large collection of buckles. That Recon buckle posted by @PhilippineBuckles is cool. I recall seeing a NAM era rectangular version that was posted earlier on with a similar Recon skull graphic. Thanks for sharing!

easterneagle87

Here are some non regulation or Liberty buckles.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Interesting, the middle buckle in this lot has a German U-boat award badge "style" for its' theme.

Of our big presence in the P.I., would there be any foreign examples of these buckles? There had to be other Navies who paid ports of call to the Philippines. I'm not saying or asking to post them here, I'm just asking a question.

Interesting, the middle buckle in this lot has a German U-boat award badge "style" for its' theme.

Of our big presence in the P.I., would there be any foreign examples of these buckles? There had to be other Navies who paid ports of call to the Philippines. I'm not saying or asking to post them here, I'm just asking a question.

. Yes. Ships from other Navies commonly spent time in Subic.

easterneagle87

. Yes. Ships from other Navies commonly spent time in Subic.

OK .. If some one has any examples of foreign navies PI made buckles, would they start a link over on the World Mil Forum?