Philippine Made Belt Buckles

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my second belt buckle.

USS MAUI (ARG-8) Luzon class internal combustion engine repair ship in service October 1944 (as LEYTE) to August 1946

This is a most interesting buckle as the MAUI was originally named the USS LEYTE. When she was serving in Subic Bay during 1945 she was renamed MAUI to free up the name LEYTE for an Essex class aircraft carrier.

MAUI had a very short service career, only from May 31 1945 to August 1946 so it's pretty easy to date this one to late 1945 in Subic Bay, P.I.

@ vforvictory1945 The 1938 - 1940 US Army Manila P.I. Eagle buckle for Paul A. Lee is amazing. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to buy this from the current owner :-) Yes, tThe 1936 US Army buckle with the initials M.S.R. is in my collection -- I have no clue as to what the initials are for, but I assume they are for the soldier rather than his unit.

@ Salvage Sailor Thank you for the info on the USS Maui. I have an officer's buckle for J.V. Myer which has 1945 Philippines USS Maui on it...

post-170933-0-33508900-1565007526_thumb.jpg

Bill - Those two US Army buckles I posted from 1936 - 1940 along with that first USN buckle you posted starting the thread will have to be my top three favorites I've seen online to date.

Attached is my fourth favorite, a 1947 dated mermaid / fish buckle. I'm not sure who owns it, maybe yourself, but I'd love to see a better picture of it and of course own it. The subject matter and engraving work is amazing.

Thanks by the way for posting your USS Maui buckle as its very cool too!!!

post-235328-0-16645900-1565028725.png

Bill - Those two US Army buckles I posted from 1936 - 1940 along with that first USN buckle you posted starting the thread will have to be my top three favorites I've seen online to date.

Attached is my fourth favorite, a 1947 dated mermaid / fish buckle. I'm not sure who owns it, maybe yourself, but I'd love to see a better picture of it and of course own it. The subject matter and engraving work is amazing.

Thanks by the way for posting your USS Maui buckle as its very cool too!!!

Hi, I own this buckle. I will try to get you some better pics. Because of the fish, I always thought this buckle was for a Bosun Mate Submariner. Just my opinion and I can't prove it.

Chris

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

I know I probably posted this here before, but in the years I sailed in and out of Subic, I never tired of sitting with the guys making these. I loved watching them work. The artistry. These are done free hand. They coat the blank ( today), with white liquid shoe polish, then draw the design on with a pencil. Then small chisel and hammer and go to work. You bring them an awful drawing of what you want, and they will draw it out properly.

@ sigsaye - Thanks for sharing. I wonder if anyone has ever captured a photo of those guys at work as it would be cool to see. Amazing that you got to see the work done firsthand. Thank you for your service as well! Ryan

Here's another one of my favorites. I snagged the photo from Worthpoint.

post-235328-0-95870200-1565121112.png

The only records of dated Submariner buckles I have are the 1943 buckle (which I do believe was actually made in 1943) and a couple of buckles from 1986. Even based on style of undated buckles, I don't know of any 1940s or 1950s Submariner buckles except the Robert Dorsey buckle (which is in my collection).

Bill - Thanks for the heads up on the Submariner buckles. I was able to acquire this 1938 - 1940 US Army Manila Belt Buckle from the Japanese collector. I was the only opportunity I'd likely have to own a pre-war Philippines belt buckle so I jumped at the chance. Ryan

post-235328-0-66830000-1565841828_thumb.jpg