Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

vforvictory1945

Bill - Nicely done on that USS Salisbury Sound AV-13 buckle.  That one is super unique in terms of the lettering and has to be the earliest buckle to date to pop up, on my radar at least, with a skull on it.  It seems that based on the back that buckle is likely no newer than 1953.  

easterneagle87

Here's a couple I didn't see earlier and found in 'bays completed items. 

Simple nicely carved, rectangle "PHILIPPINES" 

Rectangle Phillipines.jpg

Plain AIRCREW wings

Navy Aircrew.jpg

And an odd oval with T W D , that is currently within a mixed lot of buckles. 

TWD 2.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

I too did a completed auction search last night and saw that Air Crew buckle.  I also saw this Quartermaster buckle for Jack Connie Houston that someone picked up BIN.  BTW - I bought the Philippine buckle above which came with a really nice tooled leather belt (picture below).

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

This Seal Team buckle just arrived in the mail today.  What I don't know is what era this was made.  The Vietnam War ended in 1975.  Clark Air Force Base was evacuated in 1991 due to the volcano eruption and never reopened.  A year later in 1992 the Philippine Government ordered the US military out of the Philippines so they closed the naval base at Subic Bay.   I'm assuming after the US military left most if not all of these buckle engraving shops closed down.  However for about 16 years after the end of the war these buckle engraving shops continued to crank out post war buckles.  I don't think there is a way to determine if you have a wartime or post war buckle unless there is a reference to a post war unit engraved on the buckle.

Buckle Rodney Brown (2).JPG

Buckle Rodney Brown (1).JPG

This type of buckle with that kind of lock mechanism started sometimes the 70s or 80s. The 40's to 60's are with loop hole for snap on belt.

Over the last month I sold off the dozen or so of these belt buckles from my collection.

Here's one I recently had Will create to commemorate my time in Saigon. I'll pass it on to my son or daughter.

Excellent job, Will!

1IMG_6900.jpg

2IMG_6904.jpg

3IMG_6907.jpg

4IMG_6905.jpg