Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

easterneagle87

Here's one I totally missed!! As a former Army huey driver, even though this one is Marine Corps, it's a very good buckle.  

USMC HML-267 DET-A , CURTIS S.

USMC HML-267 Det 2 Curtis.jpg

Here's another by the same seller currently on the 'bay. F-18 Hornet, ARKANSAS, JOHN  

F-18 Arkansas John.jpg

easterneagle87

Was awake late at night and trolling for buckles. Saw this one and made an offer. Woke up and they accepted.  

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower, Indian Ocean Cruise 1980. 1471975330_USSDwightD.EisenhowerI.O_1980.jpg.7b2f41c72231eae19eb2b03ba8923f77.jpg

I don't think near as nice as one sold earlier, interesting carving styles

USS Ike Indian Ocean 1980.jpg

vforvictory1945

New James W. Hudson 1944 - 1945 Seabees CBMU 593 belt buckle.  I especially like the lassoing rope detail around the Seabees logo.

hudson.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

I was lucky and saw this buckle on ebay soon after it was posted and made an offer that was accepted.   McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II Jack Hill

Picture1.jpg.8e8fafab509e117c0e423a90843d8a70.jpg

easterneagle87
On 7/31/2021 at 9:41 AM, PhilippineBuckles said:

I was lucky and saw this buckle on ebay soon after it was posted and made an offer that was accepted.   McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II Jack Hill

Picture1.jpg.8e8fafab509e117c0e423a90843d8a70.jpg

Am a total Phantom Phan! This is an awesome buckle! When did it drop? 

easterneagle87

Here are two recent pairs from the same seller. 

VP-93: Sailor of the Quarter and Sailor of the Year. 

VP-93 Sailor of the Quarter.jpg

VP-93 Sailor of the Year.jpg

easterneagle87

Did a little junking this weekend.

Found this one on my own , Engineman.

And with the keen eyes from "Airborne Hunter" this (Gary Fiske, U.S. Navy - Naval Aviator), who was gracious enough to snag it for me.  

Engineman Alameda 080121.jpg

Gary Fiske Naval Aviator.jpg

vforvictory1945

I was sniffing around a bit online and came across this link and these photos.  Apparently there is a Trench Art exhibit going on through Jan 2, 2022 at the National World War II Museum with at least one PI buckle on display.  Text from the website:

"Art, souvenirs and tools that soldiers made as they whiled away the hours are on display in "SOLDIER | ARTIST: Trench Art in World War II," the newest special exhibit at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans. Curated by the museum’s Tom Czekanski, the show features more than 150 artifacts, most donated to the museum by their creators, veterans of the war. Among them are picture frames crafted from ammunition casings, a watchband from airplane aluminum and small models of warcraft. The exhibit is open through Nov. 14. For information, visit  nationalww2museum.org.

The exhibit will be on display in the Senator John Alario, Jr. Special Exhibition Hall, located on the first level of the Museum’s Hall of Democracy, from March 4 to January 2, 2022."

If anyone from the forum goes please post some pictures.

TRENCH CROPPED.jpg

TRENCH ART 2.jpg

vforvictory1945

Saw these on a random site this evening:

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/media/artifacts.200925/

"Was going through some stuff today and found a few items from my Navy days, 1971-1973.

First, a ship's name rocker. These are worn on the left shoulder of both winter blue and summer white uniforms.

Then, two belt buckles I had made in Olongapo, Subic Bay, Philippines. The bottom one is the U.S.N."

PI BUCKLES.png

vforvictory1945

Here's a cool photo of a USN sailor that appears to be wearing a PI buckle in the October 1953 issue of National Geographic magazine, page 569.

OCT 1953 NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC.png

easterneagle87

@vforvictory1945 has found a recent posting of "new" Philippine belt buckles being made. To those of us who are and have become fans of vintage Philippine buckles, this adds a new twist to the field. We can't necessarily call these "repos" , but since these are "made to order" and made in the Philippines there probably isn't any design that can't and won't be copied. On one hand, this totally makes sense. Even though the US reduced our presence in the Big P.I. back in the early 90's, why would this craft totally disappear? Diminished significantly, certainly, but extinct, not. What is old, is now new ... again. Do I say be "wary" when the claim is, vintage? Like the "juicing" in baseball, do we add an asterisk to the description? We'll see, Here are the images posted to me.     

IMG_3950.PNG

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3952.jpg

IMG_3953.PNG

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3956.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

Has anyone tried to contact this guy?

I tried his website and apparently it doesn’t exist. 

Would be interesting to see some new buckles available. 

Chris

vforvictory1945

Chris - The guy has both an Instagram and a Facebook and I'd assume most people on here would prefer Facebook (though I don't have a Facebook and use Instagram instead):

https://b-m.facebook.com/olongapo.metal.engraving/

Or, just type Olongapo Engraving online and see what you get.  I do agree that the website seems to be defunct but probably Facebook is your better bet.

Ryan

Chris - Just a follow-up, I direct messaged the guy Wil.vlave on Instagram to see if he has a contact email and if he responds I will post the info here regarding custom PI buckle orders.  The guy's name is Willie Aguilar and his Instagram links to the same Olongapo Metal Engraving link I posted above.  Obviously enough he resides in Olongapo City, PI as his account header states.

Chris or anyone else interested, here's your response.  You can contact Willie about your engraving needs on Facebook messenger,

https://b-m.facebook.com/olongapo.metal.engraving/ :

Screenshot_20210804-165540_Instagram.jpg

vforvictory1945

I had a short Instagram conversation with Willie Aguilar today of Olongapo Metal Engraving.  He was telling me he's one of the last PI engravers and was taught by his father.  Sadly enough he stated that no one was interested in the engraving out in the Philippines.  Further he said much of his old Kodak photos showing his Dad's engraving shop were lost from the Pinatubo eruption and floodings.  Two photos remain though and can be seen below.  In the second you can see the 1970's oval style buckles in the glass case.  The shop was on Gordon Avenue apparently.  He said feel free to share the photos.

I guess he just does the engraving for fun now and as a hobby and means of making a little extra cash.  You can check the Facebook site and you don't have to be a member.  Just click the link: https://b-m.facebook.com/olongapo.metal.engraving/ and then click on the PHOTOS tab and you can see the work he's done.  Likely to instant message him on Facebook to place an order you would need to have a Facebook account.

Pretty cool!!!

olongapo 1.png

olongapo 2.png

Salvage Sailor

Gordon Avenue, just outside the main gate and across the Bridge

1876045868_OlongapoProvostmarshallsmap.jpg.b8ad8334e11a40058b3ee980c4fcea3c.jpg

Provost Marshalls Map - Olongapo City Bars & Clubs

ShitRiverOlongapo1972.jpg.bd6fc18ce1583918ebe61570d0c5231d.jpg

olongapo-philippines.jpg.277b813be32e0c1ad7abf95c04b8991d.jpg

easterneagle87

Another couple currently listed on ebay,

Big rectangle, F-14 Tomcat buckle 

F-14 Tomcat rectangle.jpg

and .. USCG Coastie Squadron One

USCG Squadron One.jpg

Will Aguilar
On 9/18/2017 at 9:09 PM, PhilippineBuckles said:

@hink441 - You surprised me saying that your Korean made buckle was post 1992. That said, it definitely makes since that a skilled Philippine's belt buckle engraver would have moved to another USN port of call when the US closed down the last of its bases in the Philippines. I look forward to you posting a picture of the Civilian buckle you had made and seeing if it looks any different than 1992 or earlier buckles.

@Tonomachi - Thank you for posting your collection of Seal buckles and I love the picture with Seal members wearing them in their Summer Whites is great!

I don't have any SEAL Trident buckles nor UDT buckles in my collection. I do have one "Civilian" First Class Diver oval buckle (left below) and on the right is a Master Diver buckle that sold on ebay in 2015 for Bob Driscoll and it's special in my opinion because it is the only composite Philippine's buckle using two materials (i.e. metal and the black "plastic" backdrop) that I've ever seen.

post-170933-0-66318800-1505740054_thumb.jpg

vforvictory1945

Here's a nice work in progress photo of Will Aguilar's buckle engraving skills.  Pretty cool to see!

WORK IN PROGRESS.jpg

Will Aguilar
On 8/6/2019 at 6:49 AM, sigsaye said:

I know I probably posted this here before, but in the years I sailed in and out of Subic, I never tired of sitting with the guys making these. I loved watching them work. The artistry. These are done free hand. They coat the blank ( today), with white liquid shoe polish, then draw the design on with a pencil. Then small chisel and hammer and go to work. You bring them an awful drawing of what you want, and they will draw it out properly.

I would love to see some photos......please?

Will Aguilar
On 12/12/2020 at 3:10 AM, hank.kraus said:

My dad gave me a navy belt buckle made in the Philippines engraved with his name and town. I would like to give it to my son for a graduation present but it is missing the clip on the back and the belt material. See attached photos. 

Was the original belt material web or leather? I seem to remember leather but am not sure.

And 2 if there anyone who can help me get a clip made on the back of the buckle?

20201209_175209.jpg

20201209_175153.jpg

20201209_175213.jpg

www.facebook.com/olongapo.metal.engraving

PhilippineBuckles

Hello Will -- Thank you for joining USMF and joining in this discussion.  I love your Facebook site and seeing your different engravings!  And it's great to know that Philippine Belt buckle engraving still lives on!  Please share as much first hand insight into belt buckle engraving.   I'd love to hear all your stories related to engraving buckles for American service men and women -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Personally, I'd love it if you would write a book about engraving Philippine belt buckles.  Seriously, let us know if you have any interest in writing a book or working with someone to publish a book about belt buckle engraving both pre & post the US closing down its bases in the Philippines.  Give it some thought.

A couple of questions to start with...

1.  On a technical level, can you explain where you currently get your rectangular blank buckles?  If you make them yourself, was this always the case back in the 1970s and 1980s?  I'm wondering if there was a wholesale source or specific person or shop that specialized in making the blank buckles that different engraving shops bought from. 

2.  Can you give us any insight into the number of rectangular or oval US military belt buckles you have been engraving the past couple of years? 

3.  Thank  you for sharing your Facebook page so that anyone who wants to commission a buckle from you can do so.  They can also Private Message (PM) you on this site.   That said, I'm sure a lot of USMF readers are curious for a ballpark estimate (or rough price range) of how much it currently costs to have a custom rectangular military belt buckle engraved?  Obviously, everyone should understand that each commissioned buckle may have a different price depending on engraving complexity and other factors.

Best Regards,

Bill