Philippine Made Belt Buckles

The 80's and 90's back have a more modern webbed beck mechanism that folds over and clamps to the webbed belt.

As far as the ovaled buckles are concerned it seems that they are mostly 1970's or 1980's and have the normal bar and post on the back like a majority of modern day belt buckles.

Feel free to chime in or correct me but you can use the back of belt knowledge to help date a PI buckle that doesn't have a date on the front.

1980 - INDIAN OCEAN CRUISE.png

1988 - SBSCA.png

1990 USS MIDWAY - SAILOR OF MONTH OCT.png

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received this one from an eBay purchase. 

This buckle has a sad story though.

The USN LT. that wore this buckle was killed in an unexplained ejection from the back-seat of an F-4B Phantom during a supersonic fly-by of the USS F D Roosevelt. His body was never recovered. He had made the previous FDR Vietnam Cruise and probably had this buckle made in the PI. 

RIP Lt.

38B1BE53-9EB0-42FF-8CBB-C4F7B4BC3C02.jpeg

C3FB9BBA-2A5B-4A0D-BDC6-04A42AC8934C.jpeg

5F1FE124-9349-483A-B503-8A2C156D1A9F.jpeg

donation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

1 hour ago, hink441 said:

Just received this one from an eBay purchase. 

This buckle has a sad story though.

The USN LT. that wore this buckle was killed in an unexplained ejection from the back-seat of an F-4B Phantom during a supersonic fly-by of the USS F D Roosevelt. His body was never recovered. He had made the previous FDR Vietnam Cruise and probably had this buckle made in the PI. 

RIP Lt.

38B1BE53-9EB0-42FF-8CBB-C4F7B4BC3C02.jpeg

C3FB9BBA-2A5B-4A0D-BDC6-04A42AC8934C.jpeg

5F1FE124-9349-483A-B503-8A2C156D1A9F.jpeg

Good grab. I bid on this one, but decided not to pursue it. I'm glad you have some history on it. Makes it even nicer. Enjoy! 

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I "primarily" collect Gulf War 1 patches. All branches (USA, USAF,USN, USMC & USCG) and ALL Countries..
US - Op.'s Desert Shield / Storm / Provide Comfort /Some Southern Watch - F-4G's Wild Weasels
UK - Op.'s Granby / Sabre / Warden
Canadian - Op. Desert Storm / Op. Friction
French - Daguet / Aconit
Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, South Korea, etc.
Looking for the oddities, including unfinished & flaws
I HAVE EXTRA's!! Will trade as well.

@hink441 - Wow, that's definitely a tragic story but very interesting to know the history.  It seems that only a handful of these named PI belt buckles are even traceable due to the age and lack of information on the web.  Its so much nicer to be able to put a face with a name and even better when you can find the GI's back story / war history / obituary info.

Here's an interesting Kodachrome slide up on Ebay entitled:  U.S. Navy Men w/ Python Snake in the Philippines in 1950's.  The end guy holding the head of the snake appears to be wearing a PI buckle though the belt looks like leather and not the typical fabric or denim belts you see.  I could be wrong though.

I'm currently on the hunt for any 1930's - early 60's original photos showing US GI's wearing their PI buckles or PI craftsman making the buckles.  It's a tough task to find any photographic history as it seems these buckles may have been stashed away and only worn on dress occasions?  No clue.

pi.jpg

buckle.jpg