Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

easterneagle87

Three more buckles that sold recently. These were posted around the same time the "Orion the Hunter" buckle popped up. It was, I quote, "snagged" by PhilippineBuckles, so I suspect Bill probably got them as well. Good grabs sir!   

Naval Aviator Hodgens Jack.jpg

Naval Back seater  Payton.jpg

Store Keeper Kenney.jpg

easterneagle87
7 hours ago, Salvage Sailor said:

Note the "Formosa" rather than Taiwan on the first buckle

500792080_AV13USSSALISBURYSOUND008.jpg.44c5fd2263a2aaf8ca310b6b051c9fce.jpg

That a good point of reference for dating! 

PhilippineBuckles

It wasn't me who snagged the three buckles at the top which were sold on Black Friday.  I was digesting my Turkey.  I suspect Chris may have snagged them given that the Jack A. Hodgens buckle is for a pilot.  It's kind of funny we all suspect each other.  Kind of like Cluedo.  Contributing to the current Formosa theme, here is a Formosa Patrol Force with pilot wings for John F. Fottrell.

Picture1.jpg

easterneagle87

This one just sold on a Best Offer. I got the offer too, but it was out of my price range! Good pick up to whoever got it.

1947 - 1948 , VPMS-6 .  J. H. HORNS

VPMS-6 Naval Aviation Horne.jpg

easterneagle87

Another that sold last night that went really reasonable. Winslow , US Navy Medical.

The carving on this one is really substantial and covers the whole face of the buckle. 

Winslow Navy Medical.jpg

easterneagle87

From the current post:  USN G1 Flight Jacket Cagleco Sportswear Good Or bad

A nice named Naval Aviators buckle w/wings, John Brown 

Naval Aviator John Brown.jpg

Salvage Sailor
On 7/2/2021 at 10:21 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Is it possible to get a better shot of the buckle?

Here it is, circa 1955-1957

USS CONSERVER (ARS-39) "The Connie Maru", Commanding Officers' belt buckle and Commanders shoulder boards.

49644306_ARS39USSCONSERVER016.jpg.5a7dd5e9e86beff62d7172cd1d2a7d3d.jpg

936541957_ARS39USSCONSERVER017.jpg.be2436967e9f960070a13eaa9e36cf0b.jpg

739130971_ARS39USSCONSERVER018.jpg.b797d443fae5780c4693640511fe1b9b.jpg

178154441_ARS39USSCONSERVER020.jpg.97e791a230793f8c6c59778ef65efafe.jpg

456177646_ARS39USSCONSERVER009.jpg.b14f43b96c73a811909871c88844d6c9.jpg

easterneagle87

Two recent buckles that closed on ebay this morning. Congrats to whom got them. Both from the same person, Gastinger. 

Gastinger BSA Jacksonville FLA.jpg

Gastinger USN Palms.jpg

I did bid and the BSA one would've been my second scout one, but I've set limits lately and know they probably went to a good home.   

vforvictory1945

An interesting PI buckle a friend saw at a local antique mall a while back.  Its a different take on the standard Philippines scene buckle.

EDDIE.png

easterneagle87

Two more that just sold. Took a shot at the Orion - PATRON 48 / DON (Naval Aviation are always gems), but set my ceiling. I already had a Kitty Squawk, but it has slightly differences; gold/brassy accents around the edge and within the ship, slight differences in the detail of the ship.  Congrats to the winner(s).

PATRON 48 Don.jpg

USS Kitty Hawk press on #2.jpg

easterneagle87

Three more buckles currently up on ebay,

EGA - Pricy at $185, but got an offer down to $130 !! Listed as WW2 - USMC, but really don't think so. 

EGA 185.jpg

Named to Eddie

Eddie.jpg

Nice plain jane USN w/ anchor logo and belt. 

USN Anchor.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

Happy New Year 2022!  Here is a non-ebay buckle I found online over the holidays "COM SUB PAC STAFF W.C. Hewitt".

Thanks Ben for all your posts above.  I purchased the Gastiger buckles -- I've been waiting to acquire a Boy Scouts buckle.  I also bought the Don Patron 48 buckle which is nicely engraved -- notice how one can read "Navy" on it.  Many (later) P-3 Orion buckles are more stylized and don't attempt to engrave "Navy".  The slanted wedge around the person's name on this style of buckle is a good sign IMO that it is a Vietnam era buckle and notice on Don's buckle how the engraver tried to slant the font of "Patron 48" which I haven't seen before.

m_577a9dd16802781c77071dca.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

Continuing the P-3 sub-thread, here is an undated USN pilot wings buckle and belt which is for sale by the original owner (bilby46) right now on ebay (284556903607) asking price $65. 

Here is some extra info...

"Picked it up in Olongapo during my first deployment in 1973. Wore it until I retired in 1990. Not sure what happened to the khaki and white belts that went with it."

I asked some follow-up questions about what type(s) of planes he flew and whether he remembers why he choose a plain buckle vs. one with his name engraved on it.  Here is his response...

"This is the only buckle I have, picked this up (probably) in Olongapo. Don't go for putting names on stuff, technically this was not an official uniform item for officers and/or enlisted. 20 year career, primarily P-3 Maritime pilot in the Pacific theater, VP-47 and VP-22. Its OK to share."

284556903607a.png

284556903607b.png

easterneagle87

Nice sub buckle that went on a BIN. USS Los Angeles

I copy and pasted the image from ebay and then rotated it, but sending it over to here still came up in the vertical format. Moderators, can you fix this?  

ssn.jpg.059744dce80b091272421ae7a7b4c4ec.jpg

Edit:  There ya go...

easterneagle87

A really nice lot of three Naval Aviation buckles that Ryan steered me towards AND they've already sold on "Make an Offer".

Actually, there were 4 , but the top one wasn't what we've been threading. 

1. Aviation Mechanic, Lockwood

2. Patron 48, Orion, Butch

3. VF-161, Phantom, Butch, I'm really a Phantom phan and this one just sits pretty.

Lot 3 Patron Phantom AVN Mech.jpg

AVN MECH Lockwood.jpg

Patron 48 Butch Orion.jpg

Phantom VF-161 Butch.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

It's kind of amazing that two similar Patron 48 buckles (for Don and Butch) hit ebay within weeks of each other.  I totally missed the listing of those buckles on Friday.  Someone got a great deal!  I wonder if it is the same Butch who flew P-3s in Patron 48 and later in his career flew Phantoms in VF-161?

Here is a nice caduceus buckle I just bought on ebay (after making a reasonable offer)...

Picture1.jpg

vforvictory1945

Here's a buckle that I picked up at a local estate sale today.  Its a 1950's PI buckle with nice engraving, guessing the guy was in the USN.  Buckle measures 1-3/8" high x 2-11/16" wide.  If anyone is interested price is $45.00 shipped in USA.  I'll likely put it up on Ebay this weekend if there's no interest on here.

SAM BUCKLE 1.jpg

SAM BUCKLE 2.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

Something finally clicked this week for me in identifying a belt buckle that was troubling me.   I've seen two examples of this "Submarine Service" belt buckle sell twice on ebay over the years.  I had been thinking that the weird nose cone was maybe a special ballistic missile sub designation that I didn't know about, but it's obvious now to me that it is for our Republic of China (ROC) allies in Taiwan.  In terms of craftsmanship, maybe Will Aguilar can weigh in, but it doesn't look engraved to me.  Perhaps it is etched or laser engraved? The other example not pictured below is a pure brass buckle without any nickel plating which makes me think it is probably from the late 1980s or 1990s, For comparison purposes, also pictured is an image of an ROC officer's Dolphins that I found online.

Picture3.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

This presumably Philippine made "Under Water Demolition" ROC buckle is what caused the click on the "Submarine Service" buckle.  Also pictured is a corresponding pin for comparison that I found on the SilentPro website https://silentpro.wordpress.com/2008/06/26/seal-badge-comparison/ 

Note the (1) attractive use of color added in the "engraving", (2) the different border design rather than the traditional chevron edging, (3) it doesn't look engraved, and (4) it is made from a thin brass sheet rather than the thicker traditional nickel buckles.  My guess is that it was made sometime after we left Subic Bay in 1992.

Picture4.jpg

1 hour ago, PhilippineBuckles said:

Something finally clicked this week for me in identifying a belt buckle that was troubling me.   I've seen two examples of this "Submarine Service" belt buckle sell twice on ebay over the years.  I had been thinking that the weird nose cone was maybe a special ballistic missile sub designation that I didn't know about, but it's obvious now to me that it is for our Republic of China (ROC) allies in Taiwan.  In terms of craftsmanship, maybe Will Aguilar can weigh in, but it doesn't look engraved to me.  Perhaps it is etched or laser engraved? The other example not pictured below is a pure brass buckle without any nickel plating which makes me think it is probably from the late 1980s or 1990s, For comparison purposes, also pictured is an image of an ROC officer's Dolphins that I found online.

Picture3.jpg

It's acid etched....my Dad tried that at few times but it did not get as popular as hand engraved.

PhilippineBuckles

Thank you Will for confirming that these buckles are acid etched rather than engraved! I'll be on the lookout for more examples. 

easterneagle87
On 1/19/2022 at 7:33 PM, PhilippineBuckles said:

Picture3.jpg

I really like the update on this post, mostly due to the "other" service / country thread. We've seen a few HMAS buckles, but an ROC is a nice addition! So many other countries made port calls to the Big P.I., surprising a few more don't show up. The hunt continues.