Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

vforvictory1945

Definitely not Philippines made but these two buckle that sold over the last few weeks on Ebay were some of the earliest engraved variety I've seen to date.  The Paul V. Brossard one takes the cake and the Buck Burnett one wasn't too shabby either (both have stellar engraving).  The first buckle is obviously 1920's and the second I'm guessing was late 1920's to early 1930's.  

Hopefully one or two of the forum guys snagged these beauties?

PEKING FRONT.jpg

PEKING BACK.jpg

PEKING B FRONT.jpg

PEKING B BACK.jpg

vforvictory1945

I'm going to amend my statement above as those two China buckles are 1930's, not 1920's.  

vforvictory1945

Here's an updated picture of the PI buckle rack 20 months into collecting, holding 30 belt buckles.  Shy of about 3 or 4 buckles mid to late 1950's buckles that I may sell off and a 1946 buckle I currently have for sale, this how the collection will stand.  I'd to locate a couple more late 1930's buckles, a 1944 dated buckle, and a couple nicely engraved 1940's buckles to replace a few of the mid to late 1950's ones.

BUCKLE RACK.jpg

Great looking collection, really like the display stand!!  Well done. 

The buckle on the top row second from left looks very nice. That was my rate when I was in the Navy. Can we see a close up of that buckle?

Chris

easterneagle87

Simple Hong Kong buckle with a dragon engraved that recently sold on the bay on a BIN. Any forum member get it? 

Dragon Hong Kong.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

@Ben -- I snagged the Hong Kong buckle.  Love the dragon!  It's too bad Hong Kong buckles get so scratched up compared to Philippine buckles. 

@Ryan -- It's a pleasure looking at your display of buckles.  Lots of really nice buckles....

I bid on the China Marine buckles above but not high enough...  Too bad I didn't have my stimulus check in hand at the time :-)

Here is a nice Seal Team 12 buckle that someone picked up on ebay earlier this month for those who missed it.  Wikipedia doesn't even say there is a Team 12 -- maybe it is Special Boat Team 12 ? Maybe someone who knows more could enlighten us?    933751725_Sealteam12.jpg.2b22a96af169ea04707a985d3cd69629.jpg

vforvictory1945

Bill and Chris - Thanks for the kind words.

I saw this buckle on Ebay, auction number 254901844533.  It's pricy at $350.00 but looks to me like its PI made, but what do you guys think?

EBAY 1.jpg

EBAY 2.jpg

easterneagle87
1 hour ago, vforvictory1945 said:

Bill and Chris - Thanks for the kind words.

I saw this buckle on Ebay, auction number 254901844533.  It's pricy at $350.00 but looks to me like its PI made, but what do you guys think?

EBAY 1.jpg

EBAY 2.jpg

It screams big PI to me as well. There’s a Terry Leonard as a stuntman, but can’t find a Jan.

vintageproductions

Terry "Jan" Leonard was a stunt co-ordinator on Apocalypse Now, so that could explain the buckle easily.

vforvictory1945

The Stuntman's Association buckle is still up for grabs on Ebay.  If anyone sees that it was sold that was my blunder.  I was looking at it and grabbed the photos for the above post and my phone inadvertently decided it wanted to purchase the buckle (not by my doing😖).  So I just cancelled the transaction but I'm sure it will be back up again shortly for any interested parties.  So for anyone that sees it sold for $350.00, that was not a legitimate sale. 

PhilippineBuckles

So with those two stars, I wonder if Jan Leonard was a Master Chief Petty Officer or a Rear Admiral?  😁 Just kidding...

14 minutes ago, PhilippineBuckles said:

So with those two stars, I wonder if Jan Leonard was a Master Chief Petty Officer or a Rear Admiral?  😁 Just kidding...

Neither. 😁

PhilippineBuckles

Here is a Rear Admiral buckle that recently sold on ebay. 

"Rear Admiral Edward K. Walker, Jr., SC, USN (Ret.)

...A 1954 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy, he spent 34 years in the Supply Corps, ending his career as the 35th Chief of the Navy Supply Corps." https://www.navymemorial.org/about-bod-walker

rsz_265080374420a.jpg

On 12/16/2019 at 6:45 PM, vforvictory1945 said:

Does anyone know the origins of these USS belt buckles? All pictures come from the Worthpoint archives. I'm not sure if they are Navajo artisan made and what era but they are really cool. I'd love to find one to wear. Thanks, 

vforvictory1945

Here's a pretty unique buckle up on Ebay.  The seller says it he had it made in Subic in 1976 from a picture of his motorcycle.  It appears to be a Honda or some sort of Japanese bike turned into a period chopper.

If anyone is interested the Ebay number is:  143983842927.  Starting bid is $39.50.

honda biker 1.jpg

honda biker 2.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Could be a KZ with four into one exhausts and the hump back seat seen on 650's to Z1's. I have a KZ650F1 that is quite similar, and I agree it's a modified Japanese street bike,

It also looks like the CB-DOHC Honda Four series from the 1970's (750, 650, 500, 550, 350) modified with extended forks, pull back handlebars, 4 into 1 exhaust pipe, and a sissy bar.

Here's one I had (CB550 Four) which I added the bars onto and a king and queen seat (not for sissies)

Dillingham Shipyard, Oahu, 1978

IMG_0006.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
PhilippineBuckles

I ended up buying the buckle.  The seller says his bike was a Honda 750 and that he thinks it was either a 1969 or a 1971 model.  He was four years active navy from June 1973 to May 1977 then joined the USMC reserve and served November 1979 until November 1981.  Here is a picture of him and his bike that he said I could share.

Picture1.jpg

Somewhat related.

Here is a Honda CB750 FOUR patch on the back of a Navy G-1 leather flight jacket I have.  Jacket and patch have definitely been down the road a time or two😂

6FF8213D-F60E-4332-A771-8295E4AC9AB3.jpeg

vforvictory1945

Bill - Thanks for sharing that picture and good buy on the buckle/belt combo.  From the picture you can definitely tell that the engraver nailed the likeness of the chopped Honda.   Very cool!

Chris - Nice jacket!

vforvictory1945

Here are a couple of pictures of a nice 1945 PI buckle that a guy found in an antique mall in Walla Walla, Washington.  He sent me pictures on Instagram and I just wanted to share.

It seems kind of slow on this buckle front this year so far but we'll see what turns up!  

1945 buckle 1.jpg

1945 buckle back.jpg