Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

vforvictory1945

Merry Christmas and wanted to share the size comparison between the large early 50's Seabees PI buckle at left, measuring 2-3/16" high x 3-1/8" wide, verses the small (normal sized) Seabees buckle of similar era at right, measuring 1-7/16" high x 2-17/32" wide.  Both of these are the slider variety and its possible they could have been done by the same engraver?

I haven't seen too many of the larger sized buckles myself so I thought it was interesting enough to do a post.  The forum member who owns the Cubi Point Seabees buckle (posted a year or so ago) likely has the same or very similar sized buckle to the one at left.

BUCKLES 1.JPG

BUCKLES 3.JPG

BUCKLES 4.JPG

BUCKLES 2.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
vforvictory1945

Here's a couple cool PI buckles from a Japanese seller.  I'm gunning for the top one but believe I missed the boat as it says HOLD on the site.  I've never seen an early one with an oil derrick before.  Anyone interested in the second of the two the price is 6000 Yen or $58.26 plus shipping according to the current exchange rates.  I believe its 1960's vintage and you get the belt too.  I've ordered from Searchlight before, it was an ID bracelet though, and believe shipping to the states was around $20.00 and I'm assuming it would be about the same if you ditched the belt and just took the buckle.

20210103_120007.jpg

searchlight japan.png

vforvictory1945

As an update I heard from Japan this morning that the E.L. Slankard buckle already sold, so that's the first miss of 2021.  Anyhow the 1960's buckle as shown above is still available and you can email them directly with any questions.

easterneagle87

With previous Harley Davidson buckles posted, here is one for Triumph currently listed on ebay for a mere starting bid of $60. OR for the adventurous ... Buy It Now for $78

Triumph 1.jpg

easterneagle87

Missed this one and took an initial run at it but someone REALLY wanted this one bad. Looks Coastie , tell me if I'm mistaken. Two stars? From a little search, The Navy Master Chief rank was officially established in 1958. Could it be associated with that rank, OR a true stretch Rear Admiral? Or just a fancy design. We may never know. Nice buckle overall.   

Coastie.jpg

32 minutes ago, easterneagle87 said:

Missed this one and took an initial run at it but someone REALLY wanted this one bad. Looks Coastie , tell me if I'm mistaken. Two stars? From a little search, The Navy Master Chief rank was officially established in 1958. Could it be associated with that rank, OR a true stretch Rear Admiral? Or just a fancy design. We may never know. Nice buckle overall.   

Coastie.jpg

That is the insignia for a USCG Officer so I would think that is a USCG Rear Admiral belt buckle. A very nice buckle. 

On 12/25/2020 at 6:53 PM, vforvictory1945 said:

Merry Christmas and wanted to share the size comparison between the large early 50's Seabees PI buckle at left, measuring 2-3/16" high x 3-1/8" wide, verses the small (normal sized) Seabees buckle of similar era at right, measuring 1-7/16" high x 2-17/32" wide.  Both of these are the slider variety and its possible they could have been done by the same engraver?

I haven't seen too many of the larger sized buckles myself so I thought it was interesting enough to do a post.  The forum member who owns the Cubi Point Seabees buckle (posted a year or so ago) likely has the same or very similar sized buckle to the one at left.

BUCKLES 1.JPG

BUCKLES 3.JPG

BUCKLES 4.JPG

BUCKLES 2.JPG

Yes, my Cubi Point buckle looks to be the same as your large one.  I believe the first Seabees arrived to build Cubi in 1951.

PhilippineBuckles

Here is a photo of the uniform of Donel "Doc" Kinnard MCPO, (1954-1974) Hospital Corpsman with a Philippines made SEAL belt buckle that I just saw on Together We Served for UDT-12.

https://navy.togetherweserved.com/usn/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=461935

In regards to the coast guard buckle above, I suspect it was for a Coast Guard Master Chief.  By using the USCG officer eagle rather than a petty officer crow, the buckle makes it clear that the wearer is USCG rather than USN.  I don't know the numbers but I suspect there are a lot more Master Chiefs than two-star Admirals.   Either way, it's a great buckle!  Looks like a 1960s Vietnam period buckle.  Given what other Vietnam period USCG buckles sometimes sell for, I think the realized price was fair and even maybe a good deal.

@Ryan - Thank you for posting the 1945 oil rig and the boiler technician buckles.   It's amazing how you find buckle!  It's too bad someone else bought the 1945 buckle before you saw it.  

2483538_med.jpg

“In regards to the coast guard buckle above, I suspect it was for a Coast Guard Master Chief.  By using the USCG officer eagle rather than a petty officer crow, the buckle makes it clear that the wearer is USCG rather than USN.  I don't know the numbers but I suspect there are a lot more Master Chiefs than two-star Admirals.”   

That is not a USCG Master Chief’s belt buckle. It is an Officer’s belt buckle and most likely a USCG Rear Admiral. 

No Master Chief I ever met would ever wear that buckle. 

Here is the Master Chief insignia. 

Below that is the USCG Officer’s belt buckle. 

A535C0BF-2333-480F-BFE1-058454869D31.jpeg

B63C2AF0-CB5F-4A15-B451-B91E08F0456D.jpeg

PhilippineBuckles

Chris -- You're probably right since it's what the engraved buckle literally means.  That said, there are humorous buckles out there and it could have been a joke (i.e. a Master Chief who thought/acted like he was an Admiral 🤣)  Bottom line, Occam's razor would say it was for a USCG Rear Admiral.

• 2 weeks later...

I was fortunate to get both of the Beggs belt buckles.

Ensign Robert H. Beggs was designated a Naval Aviator in April of 1946. Somehow he ended up retiring from the Navy in 1975 as a SeaBee LCDR. You notice the Aviator buckle is listed as USNR and the CEC buckle is listed as USN. I would really like to learn the rest of his history. Really nice looking buckles, I believe these are from the 1960s. 

Chris

FAF8AE54-D0AF-4106-9106-9E71E91967F4.jpeg

740B386C-AFAD-4E3D-B98C-82FF7BCE8DFF.jpeg

vforvictory1945

Not the most interesting of PI buckles but the grouping and history on this lot is pretty cool.  Currently on Ebay.

EBAY 1.jpg

EBAY 2.jpg

EBAY 3.jpg

EBAY 4.jpg

EBAY 5.jpg

EBAY 6.jpg

EBAY 7.png

easterneagle87

Watching them come and go, but I snagged this one off of ebay. Pretty good one, US Coast Guard, Hawaii. Makers stamp on the back.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

easterneagle87

Military picker buddy found this and graciously paid him for it. I picked it up today at the Sacramento Antique Street Fair. Mare Island, very nice buckle.

5BC86628-689B-4846-8286-84AE8A5B01BC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
easterneagle87
On 10/11/2020 at 9:51 PM, easterneagle87 said:

Hit the monthly Sacramento Antique Fair to today and found these gems. While they are not military, these are definitely Philippine made. They are TRAIN themed!

* B & O

* New York Central System

* Chicago and Northwestern System, October 28, 1956

They were all being sold by the same lady and couldn't get just one, so I picked up the set of three.

They are a lot bigger than the smaller military themed. No markings on the back. 

IMG_3033.jpg

IMG_3037.jpg

Here's another railroad one, SANTA FE,  that would be a cousin these I found late last year.  Currently on ebay for a too high price of $45. 

Santa Fe.jpg

vforvictory1945

Here's a buckle I recently picked up.  I have a enough of them with the anchor motif so this one will be hitting Ebay on the weekend.  Forum price is $125.00 plus shipping and Ebay price will be $155.00 plus shipping due do fees.

BUCKLE 1.jpg

BUCKLE 2.jpg

I picked this one up as well and am waiting for it to arrive in the mail.  I really like this one so it will be a welcome addition to the collection!

il_1140xN.2940830439_1d4t.jpg

il_1140xN.2940830509_90ip.jpg

On 1/31/2021 at 12:41 PM, vforvictory1945 said:

Not the most interesting of PI buckles but the grouping and history on this lot is pretty cool.  Currently on Ebay.

EBAY 1.jpg

EBAY 2.jpg

EBAY 3.jpg

EBAY 4.jpg

EBAY 5.jpg

EBAY 6.jpg

EBAY 7.png

I bought the Bartles group,

Kurt