Philippine Made Belt Buckles

PhilippineBuckles

trenchbuff

Here's a new buckle I picked up at the Pomona show along with his named GC medal. I believe he was a career seabee. His GC medal is dated 1940 and the seabees starting working on NAS Cubi Point in 1951. The buckle is one of the largest I've seen 3" x 2". If anyone can help with info on this guy I'd appreciate it.

post-944-0-31323000-1559594673_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-68564700-1559594775_thumb.jpg

post-944-0-30482300-1559594888_thumb.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

@trenchbuff - Nice Seebee buckle. Thanks for sharing.

The first time I saw a large buckle I was surprised. I had bought it on ebay and thought it was going to be the normal size. I'd say they are fairly uncommon -- I have three in my collection dated 1944, 1947, 1951. I like the buckle below because everything (like the buckle) is bigger in Texas... (Walter W. Bishop Snyder, Texas) The buckle's size is a approximately 2-1/8" x 3-1/4".

post-170933-0-51624400-1559824073.jpg

trenchbuff

Thanks for sharing the buckle and info PI Buckles. That's a beauty and pretty much show's they'd make anything to order. I was in Olongapo City last year and only turned up one buckle from the 80s. I guess it makes sense since they were made for Sailor's and GI's to bring home.

Been pretty slow lately. Have not seen many buckles for sale.

I was lucky and recently obtained this nice buckle with Naval Aviation Observer wings. I have been unable to find any info on the man who owned this buckle. I think this one is from the 1960s.

post-10825-0-70620600-1559867147_thumb.jpeg

PhilippineBuckles

Hey Chris -- I think I found a lead for you on Ken Kirkland. Here is a link to his obituary https://www.white-ranson.com/obituary/417520 which says...

"A 1961 graduate of the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and was elected to the student council.
Following graduation, he received his wings in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to squadron VR-1 in Patuxent River, Md.

In 1966, he formed a partnership in two restaurants, known as the former Loeb’s Bar-B-Q, in Union City and Martin."

Hey Chris -- I think I found a lead for you on Ken Kirkland. Here is a link to his obituary https://www.white-ranson.com/obituary/417520 which says...

"A 1961 graduate of the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, he was a member of Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity and was elected to the student council.

Following graduation, he received his wings in the U.S. Navy and was assigned to squadron VR-1 in Patuxent River, Md.

In 1966, he formed a partnership in two restaurants, known as the former Loebs Bar-B-Q, in Union City and Martin."

I think you found him. Looks like he was probably a Navigator with VR-1. They flew the R6D (C-118).

Here is a picture of one of their aircraft. Thank you for the help!!

Chris

post-10825-0-27006600-1559950025_thumb.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Picked this one up at an antique fair two weekends ago for 10 dollars. The seller had already sold a number of things from a grouping and she had some flight navigational aids that belonged to a Major and a Lt. Colonel Ford. These are Army ranks so I think she was mistaken about this USN buckle belonging to a Lt. Col. Ford.

post-1389-0-69697500-1563214101_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
vforvictory1945

Hello - I have been talking with Bill, PhilippineBuckles, who originally started this thread, and I wanted to share a photo archive that I've been compiling as a quick reference for theatre made belt buckles:

https://www.instagram.com/philippinesbeltbucklearchive/

Its an instagram account that has over 300 belt buckle photos. I have a Worthpoint account so I've been adding any and all photos of belt buckles I like.

For myself, I've started collecting Philippine made belt buckles from Pre-WWII to Korean War only. I've only have eight so far but they are tough to find and the prices keep rising.

Let me know what you think about the archive site and if you have any photos of your personal collection that you'd like to add I would be happy to add them to the archive. You can either post them here or to my email, [email protected] .

Thanks and enjoy!

Ryan

vintageproductions

Hello - I have been talking with Bill, PhilippineBuckles, who originally started this thread, and I wanted to share a photo archive that I've been compiling as a quick reference for theatre made belt buckles:

https://www.instagram.com/philippinesbeltbucklearchive/

Its an instagram account that has over 300 belt buckle photos. I have a Worthpoint account so I've been adding any and all photos of belt buckles I like.

For myself, I've started collecting Philippine made belt buckles from Pre-WWII to Korean War only. I've only have eight so far but they are tough to find and the prices keep rising.

Let me know what you think about the archive site and if you have any photos of your personal collection that you'd like to add I would be happy to add them to the archive. You can either post them here or to my email, [email protected] .

Thanks and enjoy!

Ryan

You know you are always more then welcome to come over and photograph whatever is in the showroom.

PhilippineBuckles

@vforvictory1945 - Hey Ryan, Thank you for posting your link to your Instagram Archive of Philippine and other interesting non-Philippine belt buckles! It's nice to see so many buckles in one place and there are a number of them I've never seen before. It would be great if you could photograph the buckles that Vintage Productions/Bob has in the showroom and post for everyone to appreciate.

Here is my latest acquisition of an WWII Airborne buckle (note the misspelling of airborne without the "e")...

44 AIRBORN 45

17TH AIRBORN

BOB EDMISTON

Robert D. Edmiston shows up in a roster as being part of the 680th parachute field artillery battalion. A quick search online makes it seem like the 17th Airborne was in Germany, so maybe one of the Airborne experts on the forum could help explain why Bob might have been in the Philippines?

post-170933-0-20971200-1564749297_thumb.jpg

vforvictory1945

Bill - Awesome buckle and thanks for sharing. I will make it a point to take Bob up on his generous offer and photograph the buckles in his showroom for all to see.

Thanks,

Ryan

vforvictory1945

I finally figured out the picture deal. Thanks @philippinebuckles for the tip. I'm a newer collector who is sticking with Pre-WWII - Korean War examples only and they all have to have exceptional engraving on them.

Here's the first one! Enjoy

post-235328-0-30389700-1564889197_thumb.jpg

Here's my second belt buckle.

post-235328-0-42045900-1564889338_thumb.jpg

Belt buckle # 3.

post-235328-0-35255800-1564889374_thumb.jpg

Belt buckle # 4.

post-235328-0-12688200-1564889407_thumb.jpg

Belt buckle #5.

post-235328-0-46012500-1564889466_thumb.jpg

Belt buckle #6.

post-235328-0-31687400-1564889494_thumb.jpg

Belt buckle #7.

post-235328-0-36657600-1564889523_thumb.jpg

And lastly Belt Buckle #8. This is where I'm at now. I'm currently on the hunt for more. Enjoy the pics! Ryan

post-235328-0-08462800-1564889549_thumb.jpg

PhilippineBuckles

Nice buckles Ryan vforvictory1945 thank you for posting & happy hunting. "Olongapo Yard" is the first time I've seen this engraved on a buckle. I love your 1945 Subic Bay buckle with the Eagle on the globe and your two Philippine Island buckles are really nice too.

vforvictory1945

These early 1940s and early US Army Philippines belt buckles are the coolest. I'm guessing this first one belongs to Bill?

post-235328-0-31494500-1564945787.png

I love this early US Army one as well that belongs to a Japanese collector. Too cool!!!

post-235328-0-67911400-1564945857.png

Salvage Sailor

Here's my second belt buckle.

USS MAUI (ARG-8) Luzon class internal combustion engine repair ship in service October 1944 (as LEYTE) to August 1946

This is a most interesting buckle as the MAUI was originally named the USS LEYTE. When she was serving in Subic Bay during 1945 she was renamed MAUI to free up the name LEYTE for an Essex class aircraft carrier.

MAUI had a very short service career, only from May 31 1945 to August 1946 so it's pretty easy to date this one to late 1945 in Subic Bay, P.I.

vforvictory1945

Salvage Sailor thanks for the date ID on the USS Maui belt buckle. I did a quick Google search on the ship when I picked up the buckle but missed the USS Leyte connection. Very interesting!

PhilippineBuckles

@ vforvictory1945 The 1938 - 1940 US Army Manila P.I. Eagle buckle for Paul A. Lee is amazing. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to buy this from the current owner :-) Yes, tThe 1936 US Army buckle with the initials M.S.R. is in my collection -- I have no clue as to what the initials are for, but I assume they are for the soldier rather than his unit.

@ Salvage Sailor Thank you for the info on the USS Maui. I have an officer's buckle for J.V. Myer which has 1945 Philippines USS Maui on it...

post-170933-0-33508900-1565007526_thumb.jpg

vforvictory1945

Bill - Those two US Army buckles I posted from 1936 - 1940 along with that first USN buckle you posted starting the thread will have to be my top three favorites I've seen online to date.

Attached is my fourth favorite, a 1947 dated mermaid / fish buckle. I'm not sure who owns it, maybe yourself, but I'd love to see a better picture of it and of course own it. The subject matter and engraving work is amazing.

Thanks by the way for posting your USS Maui buckle as its very cool too!!!

post-235328-0-16645900-1565028725.png

Bill - Those two US Army buckles I posted from 1936 - 1940 along with that first USN buckle you posted starting the thread will have to be my top three favorites I've seen online to date.

Attached is my fourth favorite, a 1947 dated mermaid / fish buckle. I'm not sure who owns it, maybe yourself, but I'd love to see a better picture of it and of course own it. The subject matter and engraving work is amazing.

Thanks by the way for posting your USS Maui buckle as its very cool too!!!

Hi, I own this buckle. I will try to get you some better pics. Because of the fish, I always thought this buckle was for a Bosun Mate Submariner. Just my opinion and I can't prove it.

Chris

vforvictory1945

Chris - That is an absolute beauty. Thanks for posting better pics. The engraving work is beautiful. Ryan

I know I probably posted this here before, but in the years I sailed in and out of Subic, I never tired of sitting with the guys making these. I loved watching them work. The artistry. These are done free hand. They coat the blank ( today), with white liquid shoe polish, then draw the design on with a pencil. Then small chisel and hammer and go to work. You bring them an awful drawing of what you want, and they will draw it out properly.

vforvictory1945

@ sigsaye - Thanks for sharing. I wonder if anyone has ever captured a photo of those guys at work as it would be cool to see. Amazing that you got to see the work done firsthand. Thank you for your service as well! Ryan

Here's another one of my favorites. I snagged the photo from Worthpoint.

post-235328-0-95870200-1565121112.png