The Thin Red Line - Guadalcanal - Original film 1964

Salvage Sailor

Salvage Sailor

The original 1964 movie rendition of the best selling James Jones novel. A private and his sergeant clash during the heat of battle as American G.I.s fight the Japanese in the Guadalcanal Campaign of World War II. A grim tale of men killing, being killed, and being driven to and beyond their limits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5FWXe2vcn8

I watched a few random scenes and was pleasantly surprised to see that the 1998 film followed some of them closely, almost verbatim. I'll definitely be watching this one, thanks for posting it!

Salvage Sailor

Both movies are screenplays of the James Jones Novel

"When compared to the fact that he might very well be dead by this time tomorrow, whether he was courageous or not today was pointless, empty. When compared to the fact that he might be dead tomorrow, everything was pointless. Life was pointless. Whether he looked at a tree or not was pointless. It just didn't make any difference. It was pointless to the tree, it was pointless to every man in his outfit, pointless to everybody in the whole world. Who cared? It was not pointless only to him; and when he was dead, when he ceased to exist, it would be pointless to him too. More important: Not only would it be pointless, it would have been pointless, all along."
Such is the ultimate significance of war in The Thin Red Line (1962), James Jones's fictional account of the battle between American and Japanese troops on the island of Guadalcanal. The narrative shifts effortlessly among multiple viewpoints within C-for-Charlie Company, from commanding officer Capt. James Stein, his psychotic first sergeant Eddie Welsh, and the young privates they send into battle. The descriptions of combat conditions--and the mental states it induces--are unflinchingly realistic, including the dialog (in which a certain word Norman Mailer rendered as "fug" 15 years earlier in The Naked and the Dead appears properly spelled on numerous occasions). This is more than a classic of combat fiction; it is one of the most significant explorations of male identity in American literature, establishing Jones as a novelist of the caliber of Herman Melville and Stephen Crane.

Do yourself a favor and read all 3 of his novels dealing with this period of WW2. The last being "Whistle" which deals with the return home of four soldiers to a Hospital in the South.

It is impossible to beat Jone's for his writing of those day's as he had lived them all as a young soldier. As an aside , when "From Here to Eternity" was being filmed I lived as a young teen at Hickam AFB and remember watching the various aircraft flying over as they recreated the raid on Pearl Harbor plus had a cousin at Scofield so was up there with parents watching from a distance filming...my my those were good days!

BILL THE PATCH

I just watched the original thin red line on you tube last night. Your right the dialogue was almost verbatim. I was going to post it here but you beat me to it. Also on YouTube are the combat bulletin episodes. They are about 20 to 30 minutes each. Real film footage rarely scene. Check them out.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk