• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
pearlharborbaby

Wood spoke wheels, tire marked USMC, cannon?

My friend found this pair of wood spoke wheels with U.S. Royal Fleetway tires on them, one tire is pretty rough to read but one has USMC on it, does anyone know when they date to or if used for cannon or what? Thanks and they are for sale but so heavy to ship,

post-162130-0-98179500-1505486066.jpg

Back in the old days farmers never threw anything away. When the US was transitioning from horse to mechanical vehicles farmers would take there old horse drawn wagons and have the wood spoke wheels modified to accept pneumatic tires. The rims came from anyplace they could get them. Remember for a time cars and trucks had wood spoke rims too. I have a wagon I picked some time ago in Minnesota from a farmer with the same modifications.

Back in the old days farmers never threw anything away. When the US was transitioning from horse to mechanical vehicles farmers would take there old horse drawn wagons and have the wood spoke wheels modified to accept pneumatic tires. The rims came from anyplace they could get them. Remember for a time cars and trucks had wood spoke rims too. I have a wagon I picked some time ago in Minnesota from a farmer with the same modifications.

Thanks, why would tire have USMC?

Farmers are not known for spending money. Odds are they picked it from a salvage yard or blacksmith / wheelright had it on hand. For a short period of time wood spoke rims trucks and cars had split rims. Your tires and spare tire were mounted on a rim that was a metal hoop. That would go over another metal rim that was your rim and you would bolt them together.

Google model t wood spoke split rim and look at images. Your wheel is off a farm wagon. Military wood spoke split rims are different. Farmers used modified wagons well into the 50's. They modified the tongue and pulled them behind tractors.

"USMC" can mean United States Metal Corporation", they made lots of things, especially GI gas cans.

"The true Soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him" G.K. Chesterton

"A people that values it's privileges above its principles will soon lose both" D.D. Eisenhower

donation2009.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2017.gif