Model 1872 USPHS Officer Sword

SARGE

Gents,

I picked up a Model 1872 US Public Health Service (USPHS) Officer sword at the ASMIC show over the weekend that I thought I would show.

This sword is so scarce that Harold Peterson could not find an example to photograph for his "The American Sword" book and had to simply describe it in the text. I have never seen one of these swords in the flesh until I found it laying on a sale table at the militaria show. This sword has no maker markings but has a gilt washed blade with "USPHS" etched on the reverse. The sword came with the original sword knot, bullion hangers, and bullion belt with USPHS Officer buckle.

The USPHS was founded in 1798 and built its first hospital in 1801. It was called the Marine Hospital Service in 1870 and the medical staff doctors were uniformed in 1871. The Marine Hospital Service/Public Health Service morphed into the Public Health Service in 1912 and began to commission nurses, scientists, pharmacists, etc. in 1944. USPHS personnel are considered as non-combatant commissioned officers and serve in a variety of USPHS and military services such as the Coast Guard and CIA. When serving with other agencies officers wear the uniform of that service with their own rank insignia.

USPHS sword.JPG

USPHS sword hilt.JPG

USPHS sword guard.JPG

USPHS sword pommel.JPG

USPHS sword blade lettering.JPG

Very eye catching. I know we don't talk about values a lot but being sooo rare ,do you have any idea of value? What might be your "I don't want to sell it price"?

Very eye catching. I know we don't talk about values a lot but being sooo rare ,do you have any idea of value? What might be your "I don't want to sell it price"?

If you really want one and price is no object, check this out:

http://www.jjmilitaryantiques.com/Home.aspx/Catdet/USPHS?nm=us-public-health-service-sword-w-s-inscribed-1914-dated&category=Search&bread_last=%2FHome.aspx%2FCatpage%2FSearch%3FSearchList%3DKeyWord%26txtSearch%3Dpublic%26psize%3D10%26sortseq%3DName&category_desc=Search%20for%20...%20public#.WbwDTLpFweg

I think its a bit overpriced, but I'm not sure what the "right" price would be. I guess the conventional wisdom is something is worth whatever an informed buyer is willing to pay an informed seller.

Thank you for the kudos gentlemen. I was tickled to find this model sword and I paid a very reasonable price for it.

The sword is post 1912 since it has the Public Health Service designation on the blade as opposed to the earlier Marine Hospital Service etching. I would date it from between the wars. It is basically made in the style of the US Army M1860/72 Staff & Field/Infantry officer sword but has a leather scabbard to reflect the marine origin of the service. The guard, pommel, and belt buckle has the crossed fouled anchor and winged caduceus of the MHS/PHS and the all gilt knot and belt/hangers are of the style worn by senior officers.

Price-wise these do not seem to sell very often but I have seen prices from $750. to $2,500. on an internet search.

USPHS sword scabbard.JPG

USPHS sword drag.JPG

USPHS belt.JPG

Sarge another great addition to your collection! Walking thru a show I (like most) would have said "Staff Officers sword" never realizing what it really was. Knowledge and expertise are everything. Well done!