Utica Blade-Dated for Study

SKIPH

Just came across this one on ebay. It's a blade-dated Utica M3, ebay # 202053036416. If someone could post ad it would be appreciated. This is being sold as "virtually unissued". This is without a doubt a rebuild M3. Utica never used "V" grooved leather handles, especially for early issue dated M3s, plus this one does not have the two pins, which secured the pommel on early Uticas. I don't know the seller, but he has posted a lot of questionable M3s on ebay lately, giving us collectors a wealth of study material. Prepping for work, so I did not do an in depth look at the blade marking. Check it out gang, see what you can find, will get back on later for more study. SKIP

Interesting... what about this blade dated RCC... 202045501208 ... he just sold a it and it looked to be rehandled... has the wrong tang peen and it also looked like it had the rivet holes filled in under the pommel (m4). Someone paid a lot for that one. Didn't he sell a PAL dated knife too...202034050856 that some thought may have been repaired too? for some reason I cannot access them anymore in the bay..... just curious.. maybe Robert can find it...

Something I forgot to mention was not only is the handle a "V" cut groove, but only 6 grooves. Wrong! The letters/numbers that are stamped on the blade, look a little deep for a Utica, but I could be wrong. It's a shame, all he has to do is to add "rebuilt" in his description , and no one would have an issue. But, he desires to choose otherwise. SKIP

Thanks for posting the pics Robert!

I am a collector of US military knives BUT not an expert like Skip. The knive noted above would have fooled me that is why I never buy from E bay . A man has gots to know his limitations.

Ron- I thought it was me, it does look like multiple stampings. You can see what looks like a "U". Could be overstamped. Have seen original Uticas with faint stamps.

Gardner11- I am no expert, and constantly learn on this site. I just put in my 2 cents as I see it. SKIP

Ron- I thought it was me, it does look like multiple stampings. You can see what looks like a "U". Could be overstamped. Have seen original Uticas with faint stamps.

Gardner11- I am no expert, and constantly learn on this site. I just put in my 2 cents as I see it. SKIP

;)

Saw that too but wanted confirmation

The middle of the "M" doesn't come down as far as the examples in Bill's book. I know that a lot of knives got made and stamps will wear out. Agree that it appears that the knife had work done on it after it left the factory, just don't know how much.

That close up makes me wonder if the marking may have been etched? In the bottom of the letters it might look like the metal reacting to a chemical or electro-process. (??)

Just to throw something to think about into the mix about rebuilds/fakes. I found these on ebay, 1) M5A1 Milpar Col. guard, 172868722344 2) Fake CASE 172868674381 M3 guard, 3) CASE M3 guard (questionable) 172868672446. Same person is selling all these guards, Why? Where are the knives, or blades? Are they being faked, or rebuilt? Lots of questions in my mind. SKIP

Put one number in the search bar, bring up the item, and then click on "See Other Items." He sells mostly video games, VCR/DVDs, old magazines,and other ephemeral. Selling 8 guards and one M4 pommel. No knives/bayonets that I saw. I have bought some loose guards before, usually in a box of parts where I want a couple of the parts and the price for the box was negligible. However in this case with no evidence the seller is into knife or firearm parts, it's possible that he is selling the guards for a friend who doesn't have an ebay account.