Interesting engraving on an eBay Purple Heart

Dave

So here's an interesting one. If I saw this at a show, I'd automatically think "privately done" and walk on. And that's what I thought when I saw it on eBay. BUT...then...I started looking at it more. If the date wasn't on there, I'd definitely say this was an officially engraved example from the KW time period. So my brain started churning...does this mean that someone privately had the ability to do "official" government engraving? It was done via pantograph, so technically that idea isn't impossible...but that would mean that then anyone could churn these out. OR, did the government "officially" engrave dates on reissue medals at some point?

My mind is still churning on this one. I love examples that throw a wrinkle in what we believe to be "true"...

odd ph engraving 2.jpg

Looks a little rough compared to "official" machine engraving. But remember, the military did not have an exclusive contract with machine manufacturers. At the time, you too could buy an engraving machine. Fonts were pretty standard too.

Looks a little rough compared to "official" machine engraving. But remember, the military did not have an exclusive contract with machine manufacturers. At the time, you too could buy an engraving machine. Fonts were pretty standard too.

You do have a good point, though I don't know if the roughness is from the photo, or how it is. Two things I've found is that these are tough to photograph well (especially in my photo box, looking down on the medal) and also they do vary a bit as far as engraving is concerned. Some are deeper, some have the letters closer together, etc. I used to think they were all the same, but I've been surprised!

Another interesting thing . . . the only "Earl J." Wenmouth in the Veteran's BIRLS file, WWII Enlistment and SSN Death Index actually only enlisted in Dec 1942. :wacko: He made Tec5 in the Army. Odd, though, not to find any other options when this has a June date.

THe US wasnt in North Africa at this time for an award.

There was US forces in the Aleutians but didnt see any significant battle in the time frame

Corrigador had already fallen as well as Bataan.

Stilwell was exiting Burma

Curious what the the award was for.