My new A2 Jacket

cmt04444

My grandfather flew b24s with the flying 8 balls, eventually I will inherit his jacket, but for now I just got this for an even $1000. The patch is slightly different than the one on my grampas jacket, but it has to be the same squadron. What do you guys think?

post-133657-0-63745200-1505264461.jpeg

post-133657-0-73852300-1505264469.jpeg

post-133657-0-65187300-1505264483.jpeg

post-133657-0-55018400-1505264491.jpeg

post-133657-0-03944800-1505264499.jpeg

Being an A-2 guy, I think you did ok...I am not a patch guy...but the A-2 is a not so common Cable Raincoat A-2...looks to have new knits... I like it..

The seller never stated the cuffs were replaced, but from the condition they probably are. However I do have a ratty leather rott plain a2 with original cuffs I could possibly have taken off. Should I switch the cuffs out and put the originals on this and the new on the worse jacket before I sell the old one? I don't know how it might effect th value, but I'm keeping this because of family history so it's more about what I want and I would probably prefer the original cuffs and band.

IMO keep the original cuffs on the jacket...the OP A-2 has had the cuffs and the waist replaced...so it is what it is and don't look back...it is a nice A-2

keep the other original

Just my opinion

Nice A-2 at a fair price. As for the squadron patch, I don't think it is from the flying 8 Balls (44th Bomb Group) . Not sure what unit it is? Hopefully someone here can figure it out.

JD

Does anyone know? I swore I saw a photo of my grandfather with one guy who just had an 8 ball patch so I thought it was an unofficial flying 8 balls patch, I hope I'm not wrong. I will ask my father to look through his photos the next time I'm there.

That is definitely not the flying 8 ball 44th BG. That patch is most likely a novelty patch , but could be an un-official variation of some squadron, but absolutely no way to ascertain the latter .

This is the 44th Bombardment Group "Eight Balls " emblem below, they had four Squadron's and each used the same basic design with the exception of the bomb's nose colro to signify each squadron, I think your patch may be a Recon unit possibly the 8th , I'll try to find the image that shows the emblem and post shortly, anyway below are the 44th emblem designs , hope this helps ......

post-2068-0-45856900-1505448277_thumb.jpg

Here are two images showing the 8th Photo Recon Squadron emblem , one on the fuselage boom of a P-38 and he other on a unit jeep , the 6th Recon Group is the unit the 8th was with , ........ I think this may be your jackets patch nd not the 44th .......

post-2068-0-53013900-1505494153.jpg

post-2068-0-51635200-1505494166.jpg

I would say yes...based on the wear of the jacket...the jacket is not mint and put away in 1945 and stored, there is wear /patina on the jacket. on the leather, lining etc...the original wool knits would have lost the elasticity from wear, matching the wear/patina on the leather and lining...the original knits would look something like the one pictured below...the OP A-2 knits are still showing a tight taper, with no signs of wear, stretching, and the original wool knits would have stretched, based on the wear of the jacket...

it is a great jacket a not so common contract, and the knits look like good replacements,,

Just my opinion others can chime in

post-155518-0-01517000-1505832812_thumb.jpg

Look at your jacket in the area in red...and look at the stitching, to see if it looks original, the diagonal stitch

and at the end of the day it is a Cable Raincoat A-2 which is a score no matter about the zip

post-155518-0-06152700-1505833411.jpeg

IMHO, I'd leave it as is. Any damage, modifications, etc. are all part of the items unique history. It was not at a uncommon to have the knit parts replaced as they do tend to wear quickly as my modern lambskin A-2 can attest. These were worn daily and a lot, so cuffs and such were routinely repaired and replaced.

I'd agree they are replacement knits. A little dark IMO for originals. I'd leave it as is too. You can see if the liner inside one of the arms(closer to the pit) has newer stitching. If that Crown zipper works - bonus! That's a toughy($$) to replace.

Dave