Paint (crest) under green paint M1C?

Jeffthebutcher

Jeffthebutcher

Hey everyone,

I picked up a M1C, front seam swivel bail helmet here a few months ago. I was working on an M1933 helmet removing post war paint when I decided to mess around with the m1c. Very slowly I started to uncover a crest under the green paint. Any ideas as to what I might have? I am assuming 1950's

Thank you,

Jeffpost-162699-0-14431800-1505162903_thumb.jpgpost-162699-0-45111600-1505162915_thumb.jpg

Nice!....i think ive seen that crest somewhere but not sure where...most likely a post ww2-1950s era m1c airborne unit....will check some of my references......mike

I does look similar to the 187th but i think it was a unit in the ETO, the photo i saw was from aug 1945 in germany during a post german surrender practice jump.....the photo was in the detrez paratrooper book....will try to find the pic.....mike

Jeffthebutcher

Look close. The other side also possibility has one. But I am not sure if I should mess with that one. I'll post a pic tomorrow of it. Also thank you for the replys. You guys are awesome.

Thanks

Jeff

Well, this used to be my helmet! Wow! I uncovered the winged foot a couple of years ago as I could see the outline under the overpaint and I could see the outline of some other unknown marking under the winged foot, but didn't want to go any further so as to damage the foot. I obviously didn't look close enough on the other side, I never suspected any other hidden markings!

Nice job! Wow!

Rick

Here's the uncovering of the winged foot....you can see in the last photo, it almost looks like a marking of an overlapping set of shields....man, I wish I'd looked harder at the other side now!

post-9167-0-17650100-1505232456.jpg

post-9167-0-39315900-1505232464.jpg

post-9167-0-73918800-1505232472.jpg

Wow! That appears to be the winged foot insignia of the 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. And it's painted over the insignia that appears on the other side of the helmet.

I hope to see more detail on those crested insignias.