Vet Bring Back M35 DD Combat Police Helmet

anton67

last

Only negative on the rifle is that the trigger guard and floor plate do not match.

Also stock was covered in what I believe was tung oil which has dried to a yellowing.

Still a nice rifle though.

I find it odd that the trigger guard and floor plate do not match.

Who knows what the explanation was.

post-63438-0-81642200-1529784313_thumb.jpg

You're also missing the band spring....Sits into the groove between the upper and lower band....Are the floorplate and triggerguard numerically mis-matched?....Some times they were mis-matched during manufacture, but generally numbers are close....

Belt buckle is nickel....These were early...Very nice, Bodes

Yes, I knew it was missing the band spring.

The numbers are way off on the trigger guard and floor plate (although they match each other, they do not match the rifle).

Looks like it has all machined parts...Has the 'H' band but with the cupped buttplate and front sight protector....Buttplate and sight protector being mid war upgrades....Is the follower serial numbered, and if so, does it match triggerguard/floorplate?.....

Two thoughts come to mind, the Germans did recycle parts from older rifles....But old numbers were lined out and renumbered to match the rest of the rifle....Perhaps this step missed?....More likely, rifle was dissasembled enmasse by some GI's, and the matching parts got switched....GI's weren't always conscience of putting the right matched numbered parts back together again....This may further explain the missing bandspring...Bodes

Raidercollector

Or the trigger guard was replaced in the field by the arms supplier from being damaged during battle,or just droped, I have seen this more than a couple times.

Nick

Or the trigger guard was replaced in the field by the arms supplier from being damaged during battle,or just droped, I have seen this more than a couple times.

Nick

Stocks are more susceptible to damage than their metal counterparts.....Perhaps the whole stock was replaced?....Anton, if stock is not numbered externally, have you checked handguard/buttstock numbers in the barrel groove?....

Nick, I doubt a field armourer would wrongfully serial number parts.....Either they're unnumbered or matched to the rest of the weapon...Bodes

Yes. Hand guard, stock and butt plate all match.

The stock in my opinion is too nice for the trigger guard to have been damaged in battle or anywhere else.

Also the numbers on all of the bolt pieces were off by 1 digit. The digit was then over struck with the correct digit.

I was told by those on the K98K forum that this was not uncommon at the Radom factory.

• 1 month later...

The son in service flag has one Gold Star in the center. If this was a family flag, the veteran lost a brother during the war.

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

I've really enjoyed coming back to read this thread. Thanks again for posting. I have a few WW2 period shots of window displays of GI souvenirs and always enjoy seeing what was displayed.

Paul