Vet Bring Back M35 DD Combat Police Helmet

anton67

This is 100% a vet bring back DD Combat Police Helmet.

I got it directly from the vet's son.

The vet was an Army photographer during the war.

First a photo of the vet.

I was fortunate enough that the vet's son allowed me to look through a few hundred of the original photos that his father took for Stars & Stripes magazine.

post-63438-0-82830400-1504982487.jpg

post-63438-0-65276900-1504982492_thumb.jpg

Very cool helmet.

Are there any other pictures of his window display?

It's a reconditioned Heer M35.

You can see the Army decal.

I say SS police because the eagle does not have the silver boarder on the edge of the shield------------ its all black. yeh reissue for police.

All members of the police came under the direct command of the SS.....Borderless police decaled helmets did indeed see action by SS units early in the war...This shows the Wehrmacht heer adler (Army eagle) under the police one, which likely means combat police units under the auspices of the SS.....These units were largely responsible for murdering captives in areas overrun by the german army and waffen SS...Bodes

so I'm right in saying SS police once an M-35 and refitted later on.

Yes, but I don't believe this lid was used by the early SS....Pre and early WW2 Police, Army, and SS helmets were painted in a glossy crab apple green color...Than some time in 1940, they (helmets) switched to being painted in the classical matte feld grau (field grey) color....Some in the fields also got hand painted in this hue....The helmet shown here quite likely started it's life as a double decal something in the glossy green....Than factory reworked and upgraded with the field grey paint and army decal....Followed by being converted to police....Hope this makes sense...Bodes

USCapturephotos

Hey Anton.

Do you know what business the family had and where it was? I could see the Kodak finishing sign in the window...a pharmacy maybe?

Paul