WW1 American Adrian Helmet for discussion

aerocollector2014

aerocollector2014

Thought i would share this with you , badge is original to helmet , unsure if i should clean rust off as dont wish to effect value , any advice appreciated. Thanks Steve

post-155446-0-78732900-1504864562_thumb.jpg

I'm not familiar with all the properties of rust, but that appears to be light surface rust and it's possible, if kept in a dry environment, it won't worsen.

I would keep it as is and not attempt to clean it. You could ruin what looks to be an "acceptable patina" to me. Plus, the consistent rust on the badge and helmet would seem to authenticate it.

Cleaning it will make it look "cleaned." (and not in a good way)

Here is a WWI AFS Badge

DSCN2060.JPG

And this is a WWII AFS Badge

IMG_20170422_201054490.jpg

There are other variations of the AFS badges. I am thinking yours is AFS possibly even a 92nd Division Buffalo. Leave it alone, the patina is perfect. Great helmet!

I always wondered about the segregated troops attached to the French and their Adrian helmets, particularly if they wore American badges.Its very neat to see this one.

I always wondered about the segregated troops attached to the French and their Adrian helmets, particularly if they wore American badges.Its very neat to see this one.

All the photographic and documentary evidence I have seen suggests that they wore khaki Adrians with standard French badges.

All the photographic and documentary evidence I have seen suggests that they wore khaki Adrians with standard French badges.

Agreed, but there is no photographic evidence of this design ever being used for AFS either. Of course AFS drivers were seen with blue helmets making this more likely AFS. Or, it is soldier contracted or a fantasy piece

I didn't realize they painted over the original French blue. It makes sense that they would keep the badges since they were still under French command. Many thanks.

The part that also confused me was the rare use of Adrians by white AEF troops (not just the AFS), and that in the few available pictures it appears that some kept and some removed the front badges.... but that's getting into a very specialized area not in line with this post.

And as Bugme showed, it's not the standard emblem, but for the sake of argument, did any commanders locally source badges in order to distinguish the AFS guys as soon as possible?

• 2 years later...

Hello guys, I live in Germany and this helmet found its way to me.  While researching the meaning of the badge on the helmet, I ended up in this forum and was amazed when I found the same model.  Maybe someone can tell me something about the meaning of the badge or about the helmet?  The opinions in the German forum range from enthusiasm to fake ........ Greetings from Germany

A8BB33F9-10EA-433A-A3AA-EA40526A4A17.jpeg

C14F68CF-B9CA-4F31-A528-98D7500B5599.jpeg

4C328100-9D48-400A-A94D-C2EFA525014A.jpeg

ECF2CABB-E74F-462C-9065-E4B54E05D01D.jpeg

A few years ago when I first saw one of these badges, I was drawn to it. However, these have never really been nailed down. As discussed previously, some think that it could be 92nd Division or an unknown AFS badge. Of course we may then ask, could it be something worn by the American Red Cross in Italy, or could the badge be a fantasy piece or maybe a private purchase?

Then we must factor in that there is no photographic evidence from this time period showing this badge. We have a lot of unknowns. I want it to be legit and we have seen several of these in recent years but, that's the problem, it has only been in recent years so, does it go back to being a fantasy badge made by someone trying to fake an AFS helmet?

I wish I could offer you an answer but, the sour taste of the fantasy Champagne Runes on TR helmets and the deception of a faker among our own ranks has caused me to sit back and seek more proof. I like the look but, I have no answer.

Hello, thank you for your detailed answer.  You have said everything that is known about this badge and I am up to date with it.  I like the helmet very much and I will add it to my collection and enjoy it.  Greetings from Hamburg.....

• 8 months later...
Croix de Guerre

I am going to weigh in on this helmet device.  I exclusively collect American Field Service material and have done more than my fair share of studying the regiments of the 92nd Division, the Norton-Harjes ambulance units and the sections of the American Red Cross in Italy.  In 20+ years of research I have never seen a documented photograph of any American soldier or volunteer wearing this helmet device.  Moreover I have never seen a documented version that is attributed to a group of American artifacts.  These helmet devices seem to show up only in Europe.  You can create whatever scenario you wish to explain this but until I see a helmet such as this come out of a trunk group ID'd to an American, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.  I would be more than happy to eat my words if someone can show my a period photo of an American wearing this helmet device.