Actors Who Were There.....In Real Life Then In Movies.

patches

On 3/22/2023 at 3:28 AM, patches said:

Douglas Fowley, he was in an incredible amount of movies from 1933 on, later T.V. too he's most familiar to us as Kipp in the 1949 Classic Battleground, Kipp right he has no teeth, has dentures. Well Fowley  was wounded. lost his teeth in the recent war, he wasn't in the Army, but in the Navy. Details are lacking, but he was a crewman on a Carrier, Carrier not mentioned and an explosion onboard, Enemy Action? knocked his teeth out.

Fowley on the left

douglas fowley.PNG

CORRECTION

Fowley is on the RIGHT

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older topic but want to mention another well known actor. I found two other posts on him, James Arness, bka Sheriff Marshal Dillon. I remember many many years ago, on a radio trivia show, they asked who the first person was to hit the beaches on D-Day, they had their battles a little mixed up though.  It was none other than James Arness. Landed at Anzio and due to his height was ordered first into the water so others could see the depth. And, based on the other two posts, was also wounded later which I had forgotten about. He would also be in the movie "Battleground" to keep with the mantra of this thread. 

MinutemanEMTer

Here is a related question.

How many actors from the last 20 or 30 years served in the military, in any role, either before or after becoming an actor?

I would be willing to bet that's going to be a short list.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Salvage Sailor
On 2/8/2022 at 11:44 AM, Salvage Sailor said:

Henry Richard "Huntz" Hall 

Huntz Hall of the Dead End Kids aka the Bowery Boys

Huntz-Hall-Dead-End-Kids-Bowery-Boys-Signed.jpg.42f193254f5413f9734c107cf31465e8.jpg

Hall served in the United States Army during World War II. In 1943, he appeared in the USN training film "Don't Kill Your Friends" as moronic Ensign Dilbert the Pilot, who carelessly causes the death of a civilian and three servicemen.

He also played Pvt. Carraway in 'A Walk in the Sun' with Dana Andrews & Burgess Meredith

037548_19.jpg.c9bab4796cc614fa6185e9ed3577ec01.jpg

Enjoy

...and speaking of Burgess Meredith, here he is in another Training Film

A Welcome to Britain, 1943 (Retitled 'How to Behave in Britain' to make a better point)

Salvage Sailor

Herman Raymond Walston

uh, who is he you say?

here he is in uniform...

RayWalton02.jpg.401028aa6a918338b2015e13f50ccca6.jpg

and after a bad day

RayWalton01.jpg.b053544916d6be9924b4040a73c4b893.jpg

'Ray' Walston was born in 1914, thus too old for the draft but he made training films into the 1950's for the military.  He held a top secret security clearance for a while as he was narrating 'Operation Hardtack' reports for the United States military for the development of nuclear weapons.  (Many of them are declassified now and are posted on YouTube & the internet archive if you wish to view them.)

On 9/29/2023 at 8:27 AM, martyb said:

I know this is an older topic but want to mention another well known actor. I found two other posts on him, James Arness, bka Sheriff Marshal Dillon. I remember many many years ago, on a radio trivia show, they asked who the first person was to hit the beaches on D-Day, they had their battles a little mixed up though.  It was none other than James Arness. Landed at Anzio and due to his height was ordered first into the water so others could see the depth. And, based on the other two posts, was also wounded later which I had forgotten about. He would also be in the movie "Battleground" to keep with the mantra of this thread. 

James Arness was a "dogface" and a "Cottonbaler By God!" Easy Co., 2d Bn., U.S. 7th Infantry Regiment, U.S. 3d Infantry Division.

TC1/c. Dunigan

242543369_1081312239361762_8996842713603766200_n.jpg

Here's one actor I'm VERY surprised not to see discussed here as of yet...

A VERY underrated and in my humble opinion, an iconic English actor... Kenneth More! The star of MANY phenomenal films such as... 'Operation Disaster"(1950), "Reach For The Skies"(1956), 'A Night To Remember"(1958), "The Longest Day"(1962), "We Joined The Navy"(1962), "Oh! What A Lovely War"(1969), "Battle of Britain"(1969), and many others...

He played Captain, Jonathan Shepard - Chief of Naval Operations assigned to hunt down and destroy the Bismarck. Oddly enough, this IS something he was VERY familiar with. 

MV5BZTg3ZTk1YzYtMWRlNS00ZjMzLWI2M2MtNTI0MzE3N2M1MTNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDQ3NDM5OQ@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

As Kenneth More, WAS in reality serving aboard H.M.S. Aurora,(12) an Arethusa-Class Light Cruiser as a commissioned Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve, Lieutenant and Watch Officer that was VERY much in the hunt for the Bismarck in May, 1941!

Photo06clAurora1NP.jpg.ddc1676ebef291a383f977726a8353f8.jpg

He was later reassigned to "Robin" or "U.S.S. Robin"(pending who you ask, lol)H.M.S. Victorious,(R38) and served aboard her in Southwest Pacific in 1943 as a fighter direction officer. 

229635_original.jpg

TC1/c. Dunigan