Spanish American War California Medal Question

historyrecovered

historyrecovered

Hi all !

I picked up this medal today , was curious is the paint the gold color or is it supposed to be the darker shade ? I didn't want to lose any patina of course.

The medal is named to a John A. Kraut BATT'y H 3rd Us. Arty #1750 State of California

I have yet to do any research as this is not my field of interest generally ... thought it was a neat piece decided to purchase this medal !

(photos to be uploaded soon )

historyrecovered

Thanks for the photos ! And thanks for the information Dave. If it's alright to ask as well , what is the value of a medal like this in this condition ?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think that is paint it appears to what was called a "gold wash" a process no longer used. It was a cheap way of putting a gold finish on something, it looked good for about an hour and a half, but the coating was so thin that it rubbed off and turned dull very quickly. There is nothing you can do to restore it, if you try to polish it the gold will come off and you will just have the base metal. Leave it alone and know it could be worse this one still has a lot of finish on it.