Interesting shovel cover

collector

This cover and shovel was with my father's stuff after he died in 1964. He was a career Marine.

This and the 1962 Ruck

- http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/178449-1962-era-lightweight-rucksack-and-camo-poncho-liner/ -

are anomalies in Marine gear as pointed out to me by a forum member, yet there they were.

At the time of his death he was chief of Command and Control Section, Tactics and Techniques, Landing Force Development at MCS Quantico.

Maybe these items were being evaluated, who knows.

Anyway here's the shovel and cover, have never seen a cover like it with the rotating belt holder.

post-1414-0-58052900-1504735149_thumb.jpg

post-1414-0-68413800-1504735176_thumb.jpg

I remember seeing one posted in this forum but can't find thread. I think it is a test example and the brass disk between attachment clips slides into a slit/pocket on the suspenders.

Still searching for thread will post link if I find it.

Found a link showing shovel attached to suspenders. I believe i is the same type as posted above.

There is another post on the covers with disk I will still try and find.

In this thread posted by Andrew of Candians testing Experimental U.S. gear.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/270367-early-ex54-gear/page-3

The brass disk is only there as a pivot point, it is flush, the unusual thing about this cover is that the hanger rotates.

Otherwise it seems just like the regular version.

I have one of these covers as well. I thought I had posted it before. You are correct, it is identical to the M1956 cover except for the "swivel".

I also have the M56 lightweight nylon experimental cover that also has a swivel. These are mentioned in the LINCLOE reports from Vietnam.

I believe these were test patterns used for evaluation. If I remember correctly, the experimental suspenders had slots across the upper back piece for the e-tool cover.

My USMC M1967 suspenders have this arrangement. The set I have has an indentation where the brass disk rubbed against it.

That is the first 1950 dated combination etool I have ever seen. 1952 is the earliest I have in my collection.

Tim

I have not seen an example of the USMC M1967 suspenders, so might ( or might not) have put two and two together if I had.

So finally a possible reason why my father might have had that tool cover.

I realize I don't have a lot of knowledge about later USMC gear,

but I wasn't under the impression that Marines used the 1962 rucksack and frame, did Marines use that setup later?