Need Help with Vietnam Patch that this Vet would have had

stratasfan

Hi! I am wanting to make a display for my Uncle. His brother was KIA in Vietnam, and he still misses him. Just had one of the brother's insignia painted on his guitar, even! Well, I am piecing together what I can about the brother, and here are a few links so you can see. Please don't post the vet's name on here, as my Uncle does search online and I don't want him to see! ;)

http://www.taskforceomegainc.org/w124.htm

http://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/54319/FRANCIS-A-WALSH-JR

What I am wondering, is can anybody help me with what patch he would have had? Every time I try and look, there are several designs and I don't know much about Vietnam stuff, so am hoping someone might be able to help me figure out what he actually would have had. Also, whatever patch he would have had . . . can you get one now? I am thinking of trying to acquire a few items of his insignia and maybe a Vietnam service medal, as well. Kind of starting, so I haven't fully decided. Vietnam is a new era for me, so I am a little out of my depth! I generally stay in the AAF and AAC! ;)

Oh, that is a totally different one from ones I've seen. This is the one that came up for me the most:

post-151812-0-47696500-1504725306.gif

Reading the the artuicle he was a fighter pilot who was an added or extra crew member for the mission he was lost on.

Good luck with your research

Thanks. My Aunt was telling me some about him last time we were in FLA, and she said that he went along as Observer because he was racking up mission hours so he could be sent home. He only had a certain amount left, but he had a blood vessel problem in a leg, and had been grounded from piloting any missions for a bit. So, to get the hours in active flying, he went along on this flight, not as a pilot.

The 2 Night Owl patches posted were originally generic ones issued by McDonnell Douglas to several F-4 units in SEA. They have been heavily reproduced. Here is a period squadron patch. I have others, so if you want please contact me and I'll scan what I have so you can get an idea what to look for. I may even know where to find an extra or two depending. USAF SEA patches are a minefield, so if you're looking for originals you need to be very careful.

Randy

post-8832-0-59757400-1504745821.jpg