Need help with "For Service In Aid of Civil Authority" medal

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I picked this up at the flea market this weekend. There was also a Liberation of Kuwait medal in the box with it that got my attention and I at first thought this one was a fraternal medal of some kind. I took a closer look and realized what it was and was pleasantly surprised to see that it was actually named. So, I gave the young lady the $2.00 she wanted for the medals and moved on.

I have to be honest and say that I had no idea what state it was from and when I saw the date I realized that it was to early to have anything to do with the assassination of Dr. King in 1968. But I was still thinking big and the Watts Riots popped into my head. When I got home and did some research I found out the Watts Riots happened in 1965 and I also found out that this medal was actually issued by the state of Delaware. So much for thinking big?? With all that said I have a couple of questions.

The medal looks officially engraved and I would like to know if it is and if so was it common for Delaware to engrave medals? I would also like to know if the medal is rare and what type of box it came in? The medal also has a green patina on the back and if you would clean it what would you use, or would you just leave it as is? My last question is does anyone have any idea what was going on in the sate of Delaware in March of 1966 that would warrant the issuing of this medal? I did a little bit of snooping around and didn't find anything. Thanks!!

post-1412-0-76881100-1504715624.jpgpost-1412-0-03972500-1504715630.jpgpost-1412-0-46890200-1504715635.jpg

Manchu Warrior

Have you contacted the Delaware Army National Guard Command Historian's office? Or the Delaware Military Museum?

I have not but I would assume that it would be easy enough to do. Thanks!

Delaware named these medals commonly in the 1960s. Probably 75% of the named pieces I see are from the mid-60s. They generally are for periods where the governor activates the National Guard to assist in natural disaster relief work, such as flood relief. I don't find any references to major flooding in Delaware at the time, but the AG's historian should be able to figure out what was happening at the time.

The green patina is a chemical reaction caused by prolonged contact with foam rubber and it will continue to eat away at the surface unless you take steps to remove it.

Manchu Warrior

Delaware named these medals commonly in the 1960s. Probably 75% of the named pieces I see are from the mid-60s. They generally are for periods where the governor activates the National Guard to assist in natural disaster relief work, such as flood relief. I don't find any references to major flooding in Delaware at the time, but the AG's historian should be able to figure out what was happening at the time.

The green patina is a chemical reaction caused by prolonged contact with foam rubber and it will continue to eat away at the surface unless you take steps to remove it.

I appreciate the information and do you suggest anything to use to clean the medal? Thanks!!