Need help with display - someone with a real ribbon typewriter

stratasfan

Hi! This is probably a rather odd request, and I am posting it in Misc., as I couldn't think of where to post it. However . . . here it is. I am doing a display about a WWI vet, and I have a reunion medal that has the space above the ribbon where they would put a little piece of paper that had their name and company on it. The paper in my medal is not filled out, but I would love to add a filled-out piece into it, before I mount my display. I am hoping that someone on here has a real ribbon typewriter and would be willing to type the info (below) on a piece of paper for me. Then I can cut it to size and put it in the place on the medal. This is what it should say:

G. L. Penabaker

Co.C 310th Eng.

Thanks!

Elizabeth

I don't know what a ribbon typewriter is but my sister has one from around the 1940s (I think) that I could use.

That would be fine, I'm sure! Just a typewriter that uses a ribbon. Most typewriters use a ribbon, that I know of. It is just an older term, actually. ;)

Tell me the dimensions of the area where the typewritten info fits into and I'll type up a few different examples that might work. That is assuming my ancient typewritter still works. Please PM me your mailing address and I will be happy to send it to you.

Al

I would use an off-white (ivory or bone) paper, so it doesn't look too bright.

Believe it or not, manual typewriters are becoming popular for art use and decoration, and can bring $100s of dollars nowadays.

I know, shocked me too.

Thanks to Hirsca, who has typed some examples for me! I will definitely post the finished thing on here when I insert a paper. As to the font . . . ugh. No digital printing. That is just too nodern and it still doesn't look the same as a ribbon typed paper. Thanks so much!

BILL THE PATCH

I don't know what a ribbon typewriter is but my sister has one from around the 1940s (I think) that I could use.

I don't know what a ribbon typewriter is, boy do I feel old. Lol

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

suwanneetrader

I'm almost 80 and for during my school years and start of business Typewriters and adding machines (weren't called calculators yet) They had an inked (some all black and some black top half and on bottom half red) cloth ribbon each end secured to a metal spool. Spool was alot like the 8mm Movie spools. Richard

Yes . . . a ribbon typewriter uses an inked "ribbon" that is attached to two spools, very similar to film reels. What I was specifying was that I wanted a ribbon typewriter, not one of the modern (end f typewriters, beginning of comps) toner typewriter. Wouldn't look the same. The older typewriters, with the hard-hitting keys and the ribbon, give a different look. That is why you can't achieve a good typewriter font on the comp and printer. Sure, the font may be fine, but it won't look like a real typewriter. ;)

If it doesn't work out, I'd be happy to do it for you. I have a 1938 typewriter that's in perfect condition. I use it often at living history displays with my War Correspondent stuff...

Not sure if you were able to get help on this, but I have a working 1909 Underwood Standard Manual typewriter I can do the label up on for you on a good piece of stationary.

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, All! Here it is! All put together! Thanks so much for the help! It is amazing and will be so much cooler in my framed display!

post-151812-0-08553400-1508021754.jpg

And much better than the digital typewriter fonts. They don't duplicate the monotype style of a vintage manual and the unique type of each individual typewriter.