ERDL Helmet Covers - Earliest Contract Date

MasonK

Hi All,

What is the earliest contract date on ERDL covers? I was under the impression 1969 was the earliest (seems to be the consensus on the forum from past threads I've read), however a member of the FB page shared what appears to be a 67 dated cover.

Thoughts?

post-29885-0-44531000-1504702941_thumb.jpg

post-29885-0-07236400-1504702920_thumb.jpg

I really doubt its dated 1967. The stamp isn't clear and there's no evidence of these being made that early. Plus as already stated, 1701 contract is for 1969.

It does, but I think they suspect this cover is stamped "DSA 100-67-C-1701".

Correct. Top/bottom comparison of what it looks like, to me at least.

post-29885-0-57842900-1504731742.jpg

As Justin stated, 1701 would be a 69 dated contract. Appears it might just be the camo bleed through on the other side causing the 9 to look like a 7.

Main reason I questioned it, is on a FB page for Helmet collectors, a fella mentioned he had 67 and 68 dated ERDL camo covers, however failed to show photographic proof. I'm fairly certain he didn't know what he was talking about.

But then I went to the forum reference section, and saw even the forum states 1967 as being the beginning of it's use (or is this referring to its development and eventual use, or ARVN produced covers used by the US?).

post-29885-0-21650100-1504731752_thumb.png

easterneagle87

Isn't the darker color RDF-ERDL ? This cover really doesn't have the bright green base it should have of an ERDL. Maybe I'm off, but it just doesn't look right.

Isn't the darker color RDF-ERDL ? This cover really doesn't have the bright green base it should have of an ERDL. Maybe I'm off, but it just doesn't look right.

It has a DSA code.

Correct. Top/bottom comparison of what it looks like, to me at least.

21272662_1425969357521043_8765794696596591396_n.jpg

As Justin stated, 1701 would be a 69 dated contract. Appears it might just be the camo bleed through on the other side causing the 9 to look like a 7.

Main reason I questioned it, is on a FB page for Helmet collectors, a fella mentioned he had 67 and 68 dated ERDL camo covers, however failed to show photographic proof. I'm fairly certain he didn't know what he was talking about.

But then I went to the forum reference section, and saw even the forum states 1967 as being the beginning of it's use (or is this referring to its development and eventual use, or ARVN produced covers used by the US?).

Untitled.png

Well I'll be, maybe it is 67. Check out this link and the photos shown: http://www.vietnamgear.com/kit.aspx?kit=373

Not being a M1 helmet cover collector, I thought the covers were initially issued in 1967 when the 'cammies' came out (as Vietnam vets I know call them). Guess that seems to be the case after all!

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Not being a M1 helmet cover collector, I thought the covers were initially issued in 1967 when the 'cammies' came out (as Vietnam vets I know call them). Guess that seems to be the case after all!

They might have been contracted, but don't think they were issued until around 1970, they very rarely show up in pictures.

• 3 weeks later...

The one I have is definitely dated 69. I have not seen a 67 that I can recall. I would say that the pic in the OP does look like a 7 though.

post-8803-0-91608300-1506365543_thumb.jpg

It is interesting to see for sure. However, I would expect to see a different set of numbers at the end of the 67 contract (1701), being that by definition the issue dates are two years apart. Going by past practice of the period you would think it should be different as each contract was specific. Other than the single number (7) the entire stencil is identical....Just an observation. Hopefully more turns up to confirm either way.

I second Eagle question. Why ERDL covers are always darker than the uniforms? I had a 1969 dated one and it was darker than the brown dom ERDL camo used for the jungle uniforms.

The covers are made NOT from uniform cloth but a hard wearing twill fabric.

I have seen so many boxes of unissued covers I have lost count.

At the patch show yesterday there was around 20 for sale.

Something is off with the 67 date.

I just can't put my finger on it.

Need to look at the makes and contract numbers for it to jive.

owen

• 5 months later...
Cap Camouflage Pattern I

Video of E Co. 2/9 3rd Marine Division during a search and destroy mission on February 4th 1967.

Several Marines can be seen wearing ERDL camouflage helmet covers.

post-153751-0-50473800-1520053065.jpg

post-153751-0-77299900-1520053073_thumb.jpg