Descending Paratrooper Exhibit for a Museum

JJSchwartz

I work as a volunteer for the Richard I. Bong Veterans Historical Center in Superior, Wisconsin.

I'm getting together information for a proposal to present to the director who is favorably inclined, (The BVHC conducts a lot of teaching of school age kids. We're fortunate to have the Bong Post of the American Legion co-located at the museum and they do a lot of the volunteering and teaching.)

Before I get information together to write up a proposal I have to feel confident that I can 1) acquire Normandy paratrooper kit, 2) attire the trooper ACCURATELY and 3) present the descending paratrooper realistically. If I cannot produce this exhibit accurately I won't do it at all. As you all know 99% of those who view an exhibit aren't engrossed enough to note inconsistencies and down right wrong gear (and posing!) but there is that 1% that notice the little things. I was hoping that a member of the local American Legion might have in its ranks a paratrooper but no joy.

For a significant price a decent mannequin can be had from a couple of sources as can the basic uniform and kit. What I'd like to locate is a company or individual who would have a PERIOD CORRECT main parachute pack that has 'popped' its chute (canopy not necessary or even wanted), plus complete harness with release and risers.

Might any of you folks have some information that you can share with me?

The attached is a paratrooper exhibit that is on display at the Wright Museum of WWII in New Hampshire.

Thank you for any information that you might be able to provide.

Dave

post-169087-0-96966100-1504635807.jpg

post-169087-0-53881600-1504636161.jpg