Flea Market WWII Purple Heart

wildwill

Guys - I hate to disagree but this Purple Heart would have an honored place in my collection

Bill

If the owner's comfortable with it then that's what counts, in all honesty (really...and not being sarcastic here, I know that could sound like it, but it's hard to convey inflection through the internets!) :)

Photographing as many medals as I did, I'd say I ran into about 2% that were outright fakes. Then, there were about 5% whose style was questionable, but I have yet to confirm that style as a bona-fide official engraving style (and some have been confirmed to have been the work of one specific faker, whose modus operandi and style I learned later in the process...) Still, there are some that, for whatever reason, I can't confirm and aren't comfortable with. When I made my appendix of engraving styles in the book, I only used examples I was 100% comfortable with saying they were real. There were a couple that I wasn't comfortable with so I left them out - erring on the side of caution rather than having something that could be confirmed later as a fake in a published book. (And I won't even start with the post-Vietnam War posthumous Purple Heart engraving minefield! Needless to say, those that have made it into Volume 2 have been screened VERY carefully to make sure they are 100% right.) :)

Dave

What did he pay for the medal?

I mean if it was $25 who cares if it's real or fake!

But I have to side with Dave, the man has 1400+ photo examples and a drawer with fakes! He knows his stuff!